Things I learned today (Part 2)

@habanerocat knows nowt about football.

True. I’m a hurling man.

I text the young lad tonight, where’s Kalvin Philips?

He text back that he’s only played 56 minutes of football all season.

:ronnyroar:

Southgate still picked him for the squad. And also picked an injured Kyle Walker.

1 Like

It’s a 26 man squad, won’t matter

True. Southgate would be happy if he only had to pick an 18 man squad.

1 Like

Tell us more farmer. How dyou hear this?

It’s not today nor yesterday I was taught this. Many the side of beef I split, boned, sliced, rolled, tied and diced. Trained and worked as a butcher in my day. A hard and noble trade that helped pay my way thru college and even extra cash on the side in later life.
What you all might learn is that this trade is now dead, all but a very few traditional families still eeking out a living at it. There is no young Irish lad training to be a butcher. It is sad to see.

13 Likes

A fascinating skill, I’d love to spend a few days in a place like that

1 Like

Seems like good value compared to how much an ad would cost at the break which most people won’t watch

1 Like

Man, that’s a sharp knife. The dude needs a new hip.

:+1: nice clean knife action. Hip occupational wear and tear.

Ah that’s poetry. We used to kill an animal once a year for the freezer. Bring him to the butchers own home where he has a set up. Used watch him go through it all. The blood, the blood was what always stayed with me but it used be incredible to watch him carve it up. Nothing wasted ever. An incredible craft.

4 Likes

I shall henceforth be DM-ing this video to @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy on a weekly basis

4 Likes

Named after the German mountain on which it was first noted, a Brocken spectre is a large shadow of an observer cast onto cloud or mist.

11 Likes

Now that’s a good one.

1 Like

There was an article about it in the Independent website last week.

1 Like

I shared a flat with a butcher for years. He was as strong as a bull.

Would explain Bigfoot/Yeti sightings

2 Likes

Diego Maradona wore two jerseys during the 1986 WC game against England (different one in each half).

He swapped his shirt with Steve Hodge at end of the game and Steve Hodge sold the jersey (the one Maradona wore to score his goals in) this year for 7m pounds.

1 Like

The Grey Man of Ben MacDhui another one in this genre.

1 Like