Things I learned today (Part 2)

None of the entry fee from women’s mini marathon goes to charity, always just assumed part of it did

:dizzy_face: :dizzy_face:

The Great Limerick Run is the same.
They nominate a Charity Partner which gives the impression that charity is getting some of the profits.

And what - they just fuck off to Tenerife and drink the proceeds……Grrr……

Will you ask for a refund?

1 Like

It was sold to an events company lately. I wonder what it is worth. A nice few pound I’d say

The local GAA club here hosted a massive run here last year with a big splash about raising funds for a very worthy local charity. They raised north of 20k from the run. I believe the charity may have received a maximum of 2k from it with the club lining their pockets with the rest of it. Typical GAA

2 Likes

Did they not do all the work?

They did - as most people carrying out fundraisers do. They don’t run themselves like

1 Like

And it was a fundraiser for the GAA Club

1 Like

It was, but that’s not how it was advertised & marketed

1 Like

So they ran an event, flagged it as a fundraiser for the charity, raised funds for the charity, with no one from the charity raising a finger, and are being criticised for it.

Great country.

1 Like

No, flagged it as a fundraiser for the charity, ran it as a fundraiser for the gaa, paid a small sum to the charity so they couldnt be called robbing cunts. Smacked themselves on the back and told themselves they were great fellas. The gaa way.

2 Likes

I see you’ve played Knifey Spoony before then…

2 Likes

Exactly. Yet the other lad endorses this kind of shitehawkery.

1 Like

100%, naturally people are gonna be more generous if a proper charity is supposedly benefitting, that’s fairly shitty if it is as described

2 Likes

Nothing that club does would surprise me.

1 Like

To me, it is more palatable than the situation you see a lot of where people do skydives or climb mountains in exotic locations and while some money may end up with the charity, it is, first and foremost paying for what is a holiday or experience for the person involved.

I’m not saying everybody involved in these does this, but a large portion do. At least a GAA club is a not-for-profit organisation who generally do a lot of good in the community. Depending on how it’s advertised, you would generally expect a 50/50 split, however.

4 Likes

Agreed, but two wrongs don’t make a right, if something is advertised as being for charity then it should be just that

That’s fair enough if that’s how it was advertised.

I know there have been a few in Limerick and generally it’s ran as “support a great charity and your local GAA club”. They don’t reveal what the split is but you get the idea that it’s for both.