Things I learned today (Part 2)

Back when Nike still made proper boots. Went down the shitter not long after. Henry was iconic in the all reds and all blues and the all whites.

This is how it was advertised. Race proceeds go to Charity X and Club Y. Now itā€™s factually correct but to most observers itā€™s a 50/50 split. Iā€™ve no problem with the club using it to raise funds for themselves but if you throw a charity in and make a song and dance about it to get goodwill and more entries then it should be well above a single figure percent that they get

Does that still go on? It was a real Celtic Tiger thing. Like Niall Mellon and Sean Dunne throwing up a few shacks in the townships in South Africa and patting themselves on the back but I havenā€™t come across it in years.

3 Likes

Yeah, very definitely a thing.

Skydives is probably the big one among younger people. Climbing Kilimanjaro is a huge one aswell.

Among people who are slightly older, Iā€™ve seen a few motorbiking across the US.

Again, I donā€™t know how the money is being spent in each situation, so maybe Iā€™m wronging some people. But I think that you should be up front about it.

Throw up one of the posters there see what way they phrased it. Itā€™s an interesting one alright

Thatā€™s ridiculous altogether. Raising money to go climb kilimanjaysusingjaro? At least the Niall Mellon thing was fellas actually going building houses even if it was a big piss up Iā€™d imagine

Would Wrexham regularly go into Europe as Welsh champions and still play in fa Cup or what was the craic?

There was more than drinking going on if I remember correctly

1 Like

They would as Welsh cup winners

1 Like

Took a ball of money off a load of park runners, donā€™t forget that

And gave a 4-5 figure sun to charity. Unreal.

1990 was first year that the Scottish rugby guys used ā€œflower of Scotlandā€ as their pre match ā€œanthemā€

Henry Ford was a virulent anti-semite.

In 1920 he acquired the struggling Detroit based ā€˜Dearborn Independentā€™ newspaper, publishing a weekly series called ā€œThe International Jew: The Worldā€™s Problemā€ on the paperā€™s front page. Ford is also the only American to be praised by Hitler in his book Mein Kampf.

Northern Irelandā€™s football team once went 35 months without scoring in a competitive game (October 2001 to September 2004).

I thought this was well known. Sean South from Garryowen another one.

Oā€™Connell Avenue.

Just had relations in Garryowen.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good bidness

I see a big bucket behind the bar in Jackā€™s for this very thing.

There has never been a prestigious League/Milk/Littlewoods/Rumbelows/Coca-Cola/Worthington/Carling/Carabao Cup final between two teams with United in their name.

2 Likes

Henry street? Thereā€™s a plaque on the wall there anyway

steve coogans brother wrote ā€œcan you dig itā€

5 Likes