Things That Are Wrong

I give a fuck. Most top class hurlers wouldn’t give a shit about a Byrne Cup medal in Kilkenny but for a not particularly talented slogger like myself who only managed to make the senior team for a year or two, I am well pleased with mine.

I have plenty of medals that I’d value far higher than a league medal. It’s just the way it is in limerick, the leagues in both hurling and football carry no weight.

Limerick for the all ireland end of.

What medals ? Scor

everything is wrong with everything

No problem with it being the 2nd comp. bit do you not think it’s a little bit silly to do all this training for 2-3 games a year? The accepted optimum competitive games a year for most sports is in the 11-18 range depending on level, age etc. you will not improve if you don’t play competitive games.

The standards are high in club football in Down, Tyrone, Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc BECAUSE the league is taken seriously.

Yep, correct thread for this post

Today FM GAA show on now. With Paul Collins and John Evans. Sweet suffering jaysus

Anything to Caul Pollins? He’s a right hucking hunt.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812014, member: 273”]No problem with it being the 2nd comp. bit do you not think it’s a little bit silly to do all this training for 2-3 games a year? The accepted optimum competitive games a year for most sports is in the 11-18 range depending on level, age etc. you will not improve if you don’t play competitive games.

The standards are high in club football in Down, Tyrone, Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc BECAUSE the league is taken seriously.[/quote]

There is a minimum of 5 competitive championship games guaranteed in the football, along with the west senior championship (3 games to win it) which a lot more stock would be put in. The league would be rated the 3rd competition and you are guaranteed 7 games in that.

In fairness the league has improved in recent years when they commited to playing all league games at the weekend. Previous to that they were played on a Tuesday night which is probably the main reason for the ambivalence as most teams would be missing players mid week.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 812036, member: 1786”]There is a minimum of 5 competitive championship games guaranteed in the football, along with the west senior championship (3 games to win it) which a lot more stock would be put in. The league would be rated the 3rd competition and you are guaranteed 7 games in that.

In fairness the league has improved in recent years when they commited to playing all league games at the weekend. Previous to that they were played on a Tuesday night which is probably the main reason for the ambivalence as most teams would be missing players mid week.[/quote]

Fair enough, 8 guaranteed championship games is good, better than I was thinking. Add the 7 league games and you have 15, probably the optimum for Senior club football. If the league was wrapped up before Everything else like in Laois (and Down and a number of other countries)

I often think GAA players don’t want to make too many games important as they may have to do less drinking and train and be healthy for more of the year.

The fact that there were 50+ people queuing to get into the Hollister shop on Regent Street yesterday evening at 6.30.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 811308, member: 1”]That’s shite. Do you know if it was daytime or at night? It’s a house I’ve gained illegal access to a couple of times (human pyramid being the best example) but everything’s changed now. If you broke into that gaff 5 or 10 years ago you’d be almost guaranteed to meet one of your brothers downstairs. Different story with everyone moved out.

Any advice from next door?[/quote]

Not a bit of it. He was strangely uninterested…

Also:
Giving a shit about the habits of Brits.

It’s different everywhere. The Kerry lads take the league very seriously, probably due to the fact that amalgamations skew the senior championship, so it’s a decent gauge of who is the best club. I may be wrong but i think the league in Kerry may have some effect on what level of championship you play in aswell. In Limerick no one gives the smallest of fucks about the league

I don’t think league effects championship.

All 3 competitions are taking pretty seriously in Kerry to be fair, league, club county and divisional.

My point is, why even play a competition nobody gives a fuck about. It’s actually retarded when you think about it.

We strongly considered not entering it this year, other teams in the past have opted not to take part in it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 812014, member: 273”]No problem with it being the 2nd comp. bit do you not think it’s a little bit silly to do all this training for 2-3 games a year? The accepted optimum competitive games a year for most sports is in the 11-18 range depending on level, age etc. you will not improve if you don’t play competitive games.

The standards are high in club football in Down, Tyrone, Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc BECAUSE the league is taken seriously.[/quote]

Down and Tyrone have very poor records in the Ulster Club championship over the past 25 years.

So that’s the only barometer of a successful club scene is it?

The fact that Crossmaglen have been around has not helpe anyone.

If you are going to use Ulster club as a barometer for strength of a county then you have to include Junior & Intermediate. This is where you see real strength in depth of competitions.

But my point goes beyond actually winning. It’s not all about IC lads as its not all about winning either. It’s about providing a regular run of games and structures, a healthy outlet for social interaction.