Tipperary GAA 2018

I thought he had an absolute mare the last day. To be fair the Tipp half full back line were under serious pressure, but he was miles off the attacker for four or five points and made an absolute hames of trying to stop Kingston for his goal.

He was the best corner back in the country for a time. He’s had a lot to deal with since but I am of the view that players can always recapture that form, and if they do the door should be open for them. You can’t write off a player because they’ve hit 30 or whatever, look at Moran(s). And obviously they don’t have anyone better.

Yes . Although second half did ok albeit with Tipp on tiop over the field . I think Tipp v Clare will be the biggest game of Munster round robin as things stand .

The mad man from Holycross is a better option. I’d expect him to start v Clare

Who?

Barrett

Ah yeah but they have two corners to fill. And they’d be better off cutting ties with that fucking eejit.

In fairness to him, he missed most of the league due to injury, he doesn’t seem to be afforded the same latitude as the other guys coming back in.
Nash made two good saves from him, two fucking eejits behind me roaring that he should’ve ruz (rose) the ball for the one he pulled on.
He’s marmite to Tipperary supporters.

I’m a fan of his. Sure, he can be frustrating to watch at times, but if you can’t enjoy some of the stuff he does, then you just don’t like hurling. I’m sure the great Cyril Farrell would agree

1 Like

I like the look of the team but still think a few changes need to be made to get our best 15 on the field.

FB position a huge issue. Dunno if Kennedy is the answer but time will tell. Barry will hardly get the spot back but after him who else could they try bar Paudie.
CB positions need changing imo.
Barrett to replace Cahill. Maybe Flynn for SOB but O’Brien has the jersey now so up to him to keep it.
Still think Ronan should be CB.
Brendan, Ronan & Paudie is a very strong half back line.
McCarthy & Breen probably the best MF pairing when all available.
Half & Full forward lines look okay.

2 Likes

I’d rate Flynn above SO’B narrowly even though O Brien would be from my club. In fairness of our four corner backs that have started in championship this year, O Brien has got the least roasted.

An option would be Mouse Dwyer back there
Barrett Kennedy Mouse
Maher x 3 with Ronan in centre.

I think Kennedy will do ok full back. Midfield will continue to be a problem

Right.
Hogan - overall ok. Puck outs were good & average. Does he bark out orders enough? No.
Cahill - horrible to watch his decline. Being booked early & today’s red.
Kennedy - not nice to be overly critical on him as he is doing his best in a position I can’t recall him ever playing in. At times he goes fine but he is being dragged into positions he shouldn’t be.
O’Brien - another who performed well throughout I thought. Hasn’t done anything to make his position an issue imo.
J O’Dwyer - I thought he did very well, he attaches the ball & seems good in the air. Hopefully he can stay fit.
Paudie - a horror show. Obviously not fit as his movement wasn’t good plus his hamstring/groin seemed heavily strapped. CB doesn’t seem his spot
B Maher - MOTM rightfully, Wing Back suits him and hopefully they leave him there.
McCarthy - full of honest effort but I don’t think he’s the answer to the MF question.
R Maher - against prominent throughout, our top scorer from play says it all about our spluttering attack. Not a MF option for me, CB his position
McCormack - very impressive work Rate & I couldn’t believe he was replaced when he was.
Noel - tired early & struggled with the pace of the game. Hard to be negative with him after dragging us back into last wknd. Games taking there toll.
Forde - started really well but faded out of it for big periods. CF not a runner for him.
Bubbles - needs to make a niche for himself as an impact sub because he isn’t getting it done as a starter. Goal chance was a killer.
Callanan - grew into as the game finished which is a positive but out of it before that. Hard to make an argument for keeping him on instead of McCormack or J McGrath. Form may be returning hopefully.
J McGrath - needs to see more ball whether low & early or dropping from the clouds. Just need to keep him involved. Couldn’t believe they subbed him.

Subs
Barrett got to the pace of it immediately. Has to play next weekend & id be starting him Corner Back on Conor McGrath.
Bonnar - made a crucial impact. Must start next weekend. Hopefully at CF to give us a focal point under puckouts.
Morris - has done huge things in both games. Youth & fresh legs make all the difference in this format.
Curran & Connors - both brought freshness to the setup without setting the game alight. Hard to make impacts coming into games so late.

John Conlon’s physical presence will be a big worry for Tipperary.
Clare’s forwards move all over the place and their full line come deep
Kennedy will have to be very careful on his positioning.
It’s a very big ask physically for Tipperary.
Clare will tear into them and rightly so.

Agreed.
Clare being fresh is a huge worry but maybe the substitutions of some of the key men so early might benefit them next weekend.

If management after 3 attempts can pick a starting 15 who can start a game properly then we have a chance. If we start laxly again we could be in serious bother as Clare will be full of running.

The Bonnar to do untold.
Barret at midfield or Corner back? Kelly and Galvin will need serious minding.
Where is Breen gone to?

Another weekend where Tipperary show the resolve and mental strength of its people. Admirable.

Injured, unlikely to see action in Munster series.

I’d be playing Barrett for Cahill.

My ideal 15 would be,

Hogan
Barrett
Paudie Maher
Sean O’Brien
Joe O’Dwyer
Ronan Maher
Brendan Maher
McCarthy
Noel McGrath
McCormack
Bonnar
John McGrath
Morris ( left field call but I think he could drop out the field leaving Seamie & Forde inside )
Callanan
Forde

• Michael Breen is a huge miss, we just don’t have the attacking options bar Bubbles off the bench.

I’m not putting Noel near midfield.

Is Conlon playing full for Clare? If so, Paudie to 3 may make sense, although I still think it’s at 7 where he is best.

You’re robbing Peter to pay Paul putting Ronan MF imo.
There is a case for playing Brendan Maher FB imo considering he is very good facing the ball. Very hard to throw Brendan in there now but management had no issue throwing Kennedy in there. Tbf to Kennedy, he is as honest as the day is long but he is not a FB.
That would mean you could play Dwyer, Ronan & Paudie across half back line but you still need a partner for McCarthy at MF.
Maybe they will play Barrett there though. His energy made a huge difference yesterday & he took his score well.
Maybe a full back line of O’Brien - B Maher - Flynn or Donagh Maher would make sense.

I’m sticking with Kennedy for one more shot and going with Mouse and Bond in the corners
Half back line of the three mahers. Ronan at centre.
Billy Mc and Barrett at mid