Tipperary GAA 2021

Nope.

Timmy Floyd initially said on Tipp FM that one of them would be Friday night but maybe clubs objected as goalkeepers seemed to have found things tricky under the glare of the lights in recent weeks.

The O’Riann and Intermediate Semi Finals are all being played at the same time as these games so hard to see either senior Semi Final draw a huge crowd now.

cc @caulifloweredneanderthal

3 Likes

25 years ago. They’re having a celebration next weekend.
One of the greatest days ever. Four of that team lived within half a mile of me, which where we live is practically next door!

who are this team Cauliflower?

Colm Bonnar has been raiding over one of Tipp’s many borders to fill out key positions in his backroom team I see

Newport pal. We won North Senior in 1996 unexpectedly. First time since the 1930s. They reduced the price of the pint to the 1930s price for a few hours. I was 14 and the auld lad wouldn’t let me stay down the street that night. Some of my classmates came in still rotten drunk the next day

4 Likes

Some hardy looking boyos on that team

1 Like

The captain was a second cousin of the father’s (furthest right at back)
Con(nie) McGrath. The shorts would be brown cos they didn’t get electricity in until the 90s, and sure they’d fairly specific hygiene routines by then anyway. A legend of a man.

Two Jones brothers (4th and third from right) in front row. Timmy (his son mascot) and Liam. Both in full back line. Wouldn’t have spared it a bit. Their uncle Micky ‘neighbour’ Jones played a bit for Tipp in 60s/70s.

Big Aidan O’Gorman in back (second from right) was a fine hurler and footballer (was a sub on that Tipp minor team in 95 that win Munster. Connie McGrath said he was the strongest man on that team. Was quite a good rugby player too (I think with Bohemians). His father Noel played for Tipp in the 60s.

The big lad beside the goalkeeper is John O’Mahony, Conor’s older brother and many would have presumed more talented. Scored 2-1 in that final. The other side of the keeper is little Dinny (Ryan) Cooper. Our talisman for years.

Where’s the border for Newport? How far down does it come? I drove from garrykennedy to home during the summer over the mountains so I reckon I hit parts of the parish. I remember ten years ago being in the beer in killoscully and going to a few houses around the area with some of the McGraths. Wild enough country

Killoscully would be part of the Ballinahinch and Killoscully parish. It borders us.
Our parish would include Birdhill and Lackamore so you’d be nearly up to Rearcross on the Thurles road and you’d still be in Newport. Tipp side of Clare Glens is Newport. The main road out to Limerick is Newport until the county border. It’s a big enough sized parish the more I think about it.

2 Likes

Convert that photo to black and white and they look like they could do a job for the local flying column!!

The McGraths (I presume you mean Shane etc.?) are very close to the parish border.

Is part of Newport in Limerick? Did they not have a lad on the Limerick minors a while ago?

Yes I do. Ah yes I have an idea now where it is. Would I be right saying years ago ye hurled in the west? Like 60’s/70’s? Drove through rearcross this summer, herself was in awe of the rural nature of it. Bare in mind , our place isn’t exactly cosmopolitan

1 Like

None of it is in Limerick. It borders Limerick at about four different points that I can think of off the top of my head.
In terms of that young lad, I think he’d spent a lot of his childhood in east Limerick. I’m not entirely sure of the situation.

No. We’ve always been in the North.
Sean Treacys have been in the West since their foundation more or less, but I’m not sure was it them or a previous club out of Rearcross that used to play in the North.

The auld lad told me a yarn that some team played out of that pitch in Rearcross years and years ago. They were an underage team and afterwards the 15 went across to the pub and order 14 pints and a glass of orange, and the ref was there and realised that 14 of them were overage! I don’t know how true that one is though!

Rearcross is wild, wild country. In maths one day, our teacher said why couldn’t we all have the homework done like the Rearcross crowd. One lad piped up “they’ve fuckall else to be doing up there, sir”

3 Likes

Carroll wasn’t it? The family moved to Newport from Murroe I think. He had been playing with Limerick underage prior to moving.

Is he still hurling with Newport no?

Ye must have some pick.

Could/should be doing better perhaps at Adult level?

Yep. Darragh. Still playing.