Tipperary GAA 2021

The father told me about a lad from there in Dublin in the 80’s. A raw man were his words to describe him. This lad would tell people in pubs that he once’s propped for Newport. Lads thought he played for the Welsh club and was a hero.

How’s he going? He was Kyle Hayes age group, so he’d be around 23 or so

It’s a big parish but it wouldn’t have been always hugely populated.
When I was growing up the GAA side wasn’t well organised and lost on a lot of good potential lads. I haven’t pucked a ball since u16s (and was shite then) but seems to be a much better run club these days.

Traditionally we’ve done better at football than hurling actually, but I suppose there isn’t huge competition for football in the North, whereas it was always very difficult to get out of the division in hurling.

1 Like

Think he’s doing alright. Usually around midfield/half forward line. I don’t really get home at all these days. It’s a good 2 years + since I saw a club game tbh so hard to tell based on match reports etc.

1 Like

My auld lad scored Newport’s first ever points in rugby.
He was down to play Wing forward (he was only ever 5’10 at his tallest but this was early 70s). A few lads had a go at penalties in the match, and my father said that a rugby ball is the easiest yoke to kick and he slotted over one. Said he never scored again in rugby (probably only played another match or two).

I think yerselves and Ballina will be really pushing to get up Senior A in next 2 or 3 years.

Last year was a big chance for us. We should have bate Mullinahone in the SOR semi. We never feared Lorrha.

1 Like

I think they’ll change it to 2 up/2 down again which will make it easier to make a breakthrough.

I’d give anything to see us win another North title. I know a lot of lads don’t have time for the divisions anymore but the North is dog-eat-dog. We’ve won 3 in our history. My father is 77 next month and was only alive for one of those.

The intermediates in 2002 was some fucking session. Kiladangan had hammered us in North final. Thought they only had to turn up for the county final. Had the celebration dinner and all booked by all accounts. We sent them home with tae in their mugs.

Look at them now though…Their second team would give us a rattle.

1 Like

The divisions is where it’s at imo.yes you’ve the county but teams and rivalries are built in the divisions.It’ll be a sad day if Tipp move away from them.

5 Likes

100%

Tom Moylan on that team?

Newport is just another suburb of Limerick now like Meelick . Whatever great history they had mentioned above should be cherished as they sold out their identity to facilitate Urban sprawl. All for a few quid

Sure was. A brilliant player for us. Third from left at the back. Was centre field with Pat Keating

Bog on one side, mountain on the other. Murroe across the border would be a big parish too, a lot of it is wilderness though. That whole Silvermines/Slieve Felim area is underappreciated.

I remember around the 02 county intermediate final I think the club had a fairly basic website with a forum and people were wishing the team well etc.

Tom worked for Target at the time so his colleagues left a message: “best of luck to Tom at the weekend. Always on target, never at target”

8 Likes

@the_man_himself whats the story with the tipp senior hurling championship? I’ve heard that thurles are a much improved outfit and they’ve a serious management set up.

I don’t know much about the ins and outs of their set up but they are motoring well this year so far alright. In fairness they were flying it last year as well until Nenagh hammered them.

Kiladangan on Sunday will tell a lot. Loughmore should beat Borris-Ileigh in the other one

1 Like

Thank you.

In their last outing they had a very good first half but their second half was pretty poor. They got through it but they’ll need to keep it going for the full 60 minutes.

1 Like