Tipperary GAA 2021

No time for Connors. Never did it for club in either county final. Decent club hurler- no more. A good lad to bring on when you are winning with momentum.

His equalising point v Wexford is probably as good as it will get for him. Kiladangan haven’t had an outstanding county hurler yet. Just bit-part players.

1 Like

Yeah they remind me of the Drom team from 10/15 years ago. All very competent club players but no outstanding sort. Callanan being the obvious exception.

I had big hopes for Tagdh Gallagher at one stage but he never kicked on.

This could be a great thing if handled right. It’ll be interesting to see the makeup of the sides. Will the selectors stack the teams with lads from their own club or will they get clubs to put forward lads for it? Also as @Fat_Pox says a lot of the performers in the champ have been the O-30s so will they play in it or will the selectors be given a remit of picking lads under a certain age?

Play the games in Thurles and generate a bit of publicity for them. Give some of the gate to charity too to get crowds in.

2 Likes

You’ll have people come from all over the country to see these games. @buffegan will be doing updates

Kiladangan haven’t even had a player of Woodlock’s standard for the county.

1 Like

There was a Drom lad Seamus Butler who had a rasper of a league final one time v Galway in Limerick- I was in at same game. He was picking off points from everywhere same day- probably a brilliant club player too ?

Paudie Butler’s son iirc. Never really kicked on at IC level.

Is he ?? No way did not know that. I got my coaching cert off Paudie in West County many years ago, as sound a man you could ever meet

2 Likes

Played AI semi v Waterford in 08.

Got a smack in stomach before match from Waterford goalie and barely pucked a ball in match. And that was him done with Tipp

1 Like

Not his son

I stand corrected. No relation at all?

same here Fagan, a competition that no longer exists , well until Colm Bonnar re-ignited the flame!

1 Like

Nephew I’m almost sure

Seamus’s father Tommy played a bit for Tipp during the wilderness years of the 70s. Passed away last year

4 Likes

Tommy won an All Star in 1978, NHL in 1979 and goal of the year in 79 IIRC

4 Likes

That’s correct :+1:

Before my time (wasn’t even born) but remember reading a bit about him when he passed. Father said he was a handy (corner?) forward

All slagging aside, this is actually a very smart move by Bonnar.

Whilst it smacks of something out of the 80s, it’s a useful idea on several fronts for a new manager.Nobody can say they weren’t looked at or not given a chance. The reality is that Bonnar probably has 85% of the panel in his head anyway but he might unearth a rough diamond or two and have the rest of the winter to work with them.

It’s also useful for judging the attitude of players in terms of what they’re willing to put in. A divisional tournament in the cold of winter will expose the prima donnas fairly lively.

3 Likes

Very hard to know where Tipp are at - They played the second best half of hurling last summer but there are huge issues there .

Any team could carry a Bubbles , Noel McGrath , John McGrath , Jason Forde but not all 4 given lack of pace .

Tipp will be making mass in the cathedral on a championship Sunday mandatory once again in Bonnars next move

The Park Avenue will be reopening too for post training spuds. Declan Carr, Donie O’Connell and Michael Doyle serving it up.

1 Like