Tipperary GAA 2021

We had beat ye well in a football final the year before also in Cappa.

That’s right. We got back to the county final (or was it semi) in 02 (but the game was played in early 03 in Templemore). It was mainly lads from the hurling team who started kicking a ball again after a few weeks on the beer. Tom McGlinchey was playing with us at the time though and we’d Shane Ryan as well, who ended up getting a few county runs later on.

It’s funny, we’ve probably won as much across the grades at football as opposed to hurling over the years. My father won a county Junior against Mullinahone when he was 20.
Won a North intermediate hurling the same year.

I remember Ryan. He was a unit underage but could kick a bit as well.

I’d attribute any hurling success that we had as a club down to the fact we took football seriously enough. We trained for it on the weeks it was fixed. When we were knocked out of the hurling we took it as serious as the hurling.

In 01 when we beat ye in that final we had been relegated in the senior hurling about 7/8 weeks previous vs Silvermines. Lads could have thrown in the towel on the season but they kept on with the football. We won the inter football and junior B football that December/January. We used have the bones of 40 lads training. It was mighty crack.

As the years went on the trend continued.

3 Likes

Yeah he played for an Irish aussie rules u17 team or something round that time.

1 Like
2 Likes

After about 30 seconds - the lad in the wheelchair in the bottom of the screen .

An equal opportunities pitch invasion

2 Likes

:laughing: class.

Being from Limerick I’m not gonna begrudge any county a pitch invasion.

The only one for Limerick I remember was the 2007 game v Tipp . I was in the Mackey stand that day

Any more ??

Under 21 finals, 2013/19 Munster finals off top of head.

During the game ??

That one always gets me.

I heard a yarn before that there was a lad from around Nenagh on the run from the Gardaí for ages, wanted on serious enough charges by all accounts and it was believed he was somewhere in Europe and they’d given up on catching him. Low and behold when the lead detective who had been hunting this guy for years was watching the Sunday Game highlights that night, there’s his man tearing onto the pitch in celebration of Ryan’s goal, as clear as day. He immediately set plans in motion to nab your man as he guessed if he was home and bould enough to go to the match he’d be bould enough to head to familiar territory. They sprung a raid on his family home and at the same time a known associates house and a favourite watering hole. Nowhere to be seen. As they left the pub one of the locals shouts “The nest is warm but the Eagle is in flight” and points to an empty pint glass on the counter. Their man was gone with a matter of minutes. Apparently he went to get chips and had intended to return, only he spotted the squad car outside the pub on his return and fucked off :laughing:

I wonder did he chance it home for the All Ireland

14 Likes

Ah sorry, during game. Not sure about that so

Think there might have been one at the 2013 Munster final

A few ran on at the end of 2013 for one of the late scores. 2007 definitely. There was a good minute left and they trying to clear the pitch

A real good pitch invasion needs

The team captain urging the cider fuelled youths to get off the pitch

A pot bellied GAA official doing similar urgings

The RTE commentators while acknowledging that the invasion is more exuberance than malice saying we can do without these scenes

2 Likes

Great yarn that

1 Like

Mark Foley not one to hold a grudge anyway 30 years later

Foley’s Cark blood showing