Tipperary GAA 2021

Inside county bounds.

You forgot the World Title

3 Likes

The far more skilful part of the equation is another part of the equation you have added.

I have regularly seen PM score points off both sides from 80 yards, DM is a great defender but not a patch on him hurling wise.

1 Like

Go take a look back at the first half of last Sunday. About 5 minutes after Limericks second Goal. They were just starting to motor but I think the gap was still only 3 or 4. One of the few puck outs that Cork got right was plucked out of the air by robbie o’Flynn. He turned his man and headed straight for goal. As he was taking his second touch, in steps Hannon, flicks it way. Ball makes its way to ODonovan. A pin point ball to Gillane. Over the bar. That’s not in Ronan Lynchs portfolio.

2 Likes

Wanking maybe
Hurling No

You are entitled to your opinion. I happen to think it is wrong. Ask yourself how many big errors PM made over the years due to awkwardness in the tight.

I think you’re talking about the ball alley, flicks and tricks gambit moreso than the most skillful players though.

Being able to do something amd make it look lovely is not the same as being skillful enough to do it extremely fast and often under intense pressure and make it look simple.

Maher is not as good as Finn and Hayes in that regard for me. He is still a very good hurler, no doubt on that one.

2 Likes

Great wrist work from Hannon there

2 Likes

4 meetings, won pulling up in the last 4 meetings.

6 points in 2018.
12 points in the 2019 Munster final.
9 points in the 2020 Munster semi final.
A 15 point turnaround in the 2021 Munster final.

Don’t remember Ronan Maher’s skill being much use in those games when push came to shove.

3 Likes

Maybe in his early days but that has improved IMO. A matter of opinion as you said.

To me, DM fits into the system perfectly but is a very average hurler striking and touch wise.

There’s some lads on here fuckin delusional. It’s fascinating to watch.

3 Likes

I thought we used to be bad!

Yes and the most delusional are those that think Kyle Hayes is a more skilful hurler than Ronan Maher

Remember the skills competition they used to hold at feile for the u14’s. If they made that an All Ireland senior competition maybe Tipp might put back to back titles together.

2 Likes

Arra shite

Cian Lynch can do it all.

Every flick and bit of skill under the sun but actually win a back-to-back with it.

“very average”…

Ah now.

There are aspects of the Limerick approach more likeable than other aspects. But they have a savage team at the moment, plinthed on half a dozen or more exceptional talents.

I was a bit parsimonious in something I wrote after the 2020 AIF, because I was under the gun and therefore rushing, when I claimed there are only two natural hurlers on the current Limerick team, SF and CL. I should certainly have included, on meanest count, NQ, BN, AG and PC. Barry Nash is tremendously skilful. DM, KH, WO’D, DO’D, GH, TM and SF have worked really hard on their skill level. DB has the deficiencies of a lad with the hurl caught wrong – but try getting the better of him… DB is the new Brian Hogan.

3 Likes

You are spot on mate. The goal he scored against ye sure he was bouncing the ball off the ground and no need for it. He must have forgotten how to solo it. He bate it into the net then and he holding the hurley arseways.

You could see Ronan Maher in the corner of the screen in the same clip, and now he wasn’t within an asses roar of Hayes but you could see the way he was holding the hurley that he had a lovely set of wrists

14 Likes

Floying

CL is one of the best hurlers I have ever seen but he is a bit shy about using his left side. He has time yet to polish this facet of his game – and should do so. Eoin Larkin, a hurler in the exact same style as CL, came on a ton when he acquired fluent left side strokeplay.

1 Like