Tipperary GAA 2021

The reality is that LC did not turn down the Tipperary job for the Waterford job. He appears to have turned down the Tipperary County Board’s terms and conditions. He was prepared to leave Waterford and become Tipperary manager.

I do know that Waterford recently urged LC to take a new three year term as manager. LC turned down, as of a fortnight or so ago, this extension. That situation might well now change.

2 Likes

I would tend to agree. Between the two, they won seven all Irelands in the 2010s. The three they didn’t win, neither were in the final. I think there is an acceptance that both will struggle to be big players in the 2020s, and maybe that’s good for hurling too, as much as I dislike seeing it. I think Tipp could be down for longer than Kilkenny

Maybe the Musgraves load comes in of a Thursday and the floor needed packing…

Do you think there is any credence to the Donoghue rumours?

An absolute joy to watch.2 instances of his genius stand out for me.The first one was when he leapt like a salmon for a high ball in the latter stages of a championship match against Tipp with 2 defenders hanging off him,won the ball,and popped it over from near the right sideline in croker.The match was still in the balance at this stage if memory serves me.

The second one,for me,was the effortless beauty of his sidestep and point again against Tipp,in Croker.This time from the left hand side.

Can’t remember the games but by Christ I remember a master at work.And that man,ladies and gentlemen,was an absolute artist of a ball player.

Would be spoofing if I said I knew anything, both yea wise and nay wise. Have heard nothing, either way.

My understanding from clued in people in Tipperary is that LC was very much Plan A to Plan Z for the County Board. Teneo’s people were looking to have a say in the appointment but got politely told that a managerial appointment is solely a County Board matter.

The dynamic is now completely altered by LC’s statement. I would not care to guess what will happen now or who will be appointed. All bets are off.

2 Likes

First score is insurance point at end of 2011 AIF. Superb.

EL’s sidestep in the tight was pure class. He could probably have made an international class centre, stepping so well off both feet, if rugby had been his game.

1 Like

Kilkenny face an extremely difficult time – far more difficult than it had to be, There was always going to be a lull. But certain decisions, especially at underage but also as regards Senior management, have compounded a lull into what could potentially be a famine.

Just throwing this out there. Would someone lime Nikki English be a good intern appointment?

All the new Limerick supporters must be wondering who Ronan Lynch is.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that score was from 2011.

For me,that moment will be forever frozen in my memory.That was as pure a Kilkenny moment as their is.

(Tommy’s knee out catch a close second):smiley:

1 Like

Well hello there. . Long time no hear. Did ye manage to get the last of the big screens down tonight seen as you’re back on here?

4 Likes

Ha ha, management have to go mate, woeful stuff.

1 Like

He’d be a brilliant appointment but won’t take it

Is he still with the bank?

Every Champion wants to be loved and respected, regardless of what they say.

The question would be is whether knowing from 50-100 is going to be relevant.

Tipp need to work out first which of 30 to 50 is going to be of value in 2022 and 2023 first and its informing (probably frustrsting from a Tipp perspective) that Sheedy barely changed the older guars there since 2018 in his time.

Walk through the team and the question is who can replace what or be introduced to good effect today? Assume Brendan Maher is gone

Hogan x 2 (would think either are certs)
Barrett - certainty
Padraig Maher - woudlnt appear Brian McGrath will make it here, thought he might?
Barry Heffernan - anyone to replace him?
Kennedy/Cadell - again question marks here. Kennedy more advanced, Cadell a better hurler for me
Robert Byrne - solid 6 for u20s but hasnt really pulled trees since
Ronan Maher - certainty (possibly back to 6?)
Dan McCormack - probable certainty
Alan Flynn - huge doubts for me
Noel McGrath / Jake Morris - huge doubts about former, latter is a certainty
Jason Forde - certainty
Michael Breen - probably will end up midfield but I felt he struggled there vs Waterford
Bubbles - dunno would he have kept his place with Cahill in charge
Seamie - if he stays on he is a certainty I feel
John McGrath - dreadful year but gifted player, possible he’d lose out again.

Outside of that ye have O’Meara (hasnt established himself), Paul Flynn (same), Dillon Quirke (iffy on him), Connors (couldnt nail down a place, Keohoe (i rate him) and a few more from underage like Cian D’Arcy, Jerome Cahill, Ger Browne…none of hom 5 years on from minor success are starting for Tipp.

The question is if they cant make that team now as good youngsters, how are they or the next 50 going to make Tipp better than what is there
and already looks incapable of beating Limerick and probably Waterford

2 Likes

Its probably not fair asking you this question as your identity is well known and if you want to sidestep this it’s perfectly understandable for reasons of a professional basis but I feel compelled to ask you this.(Either way my respect for you will be the same as I think you’re one of the best GAA correspondents there is)

In your opinion,what changes would you recommend that would see Kilkenny dining at the top table again?

Id suggest a removal of Cody from a managerial position along with McGarry and his buddy Comeford and bring in a totally fresh approach.

I just feel it’s gone utterly stale and there’s a whiff of a dictatorship at play here.My opinion is that we are blessed to be where we are year on year with the incumbent managerial set up.How we keep performing is down to the raw breeding of what we are as a county.We will always have the hurling but need freshness.He needs to go with his head held high now before people turn on him.

And turn on him they will.The reception he got in the market yard years ago after a defeat is well known and documented.

A clubmate of Codys remarked to me years ago that the only way he’d go out of that job was feet first when he was appointed.Make of that as you will.

To be fair there are a share of the U20/21 teams that should have been seeing more game time.

Connolly is a real option going forward. He is strong and has the hurling.

Brian McGrath : should be a starting corner back at least. Pace is there.

Morgan : should be looked at at least

Jerome Cahill : seen as lightweight but has pace to burn & great workrate

Seymour : dunno what the negative is there bar size

Bowe : left off to kick football. If Kinnerick could bring Hegarty up to his current level then Bowe can be worked with.

O’Mara : got a chance but injury scuppered chance to make place

As for Ger Browne, he won’t be looked at ever again

The rest of current panellist…
I’d imagine Noel & Paudie and maybe Seamie only lads thinking things over as regards walking away.

Of the lads after that I’d imagine the likes of Willie Connors & Bubbles might be excess requirements for ability & work rate reasons.
O’Meara if he can’t stay fit is only keeping a young lad out which isn’t on.

The rest need to refresh and start bucking up.

2 Likes

And i think thats the point harry…the 4 or 5 that were on the panel need to start first before talking about anyone else. Not sure why Sheedy didnt do it this year. If it was form fair enough.

Attitude / Temperament then its a whole other problem.

Just Sheedy staying loyal…he has fucked ye for a year or two