Tipperary GAA 2022

Pádraic Maher’s every second sentence now rewinds to that perspective. To a re-assertion of his understanding of the profound difference between sadness and grief.

Within a single week last January, he went from preparing for his 14th senior inter-county season to being told, essentially, that he should never hurl again.

The discovery of a damaged neck artery finally resolved the mystery behind bouts of dizziness and double vision that he’d felt impede his performances for Thurles Sarsfields in the drawn and replayed 2021 Tipp finals against Loughmore-Castleiney.

But it also swung a wrecking-ball through just about everything he could identify as normality.

In another time, no doubt, bouts of gloomy introspection and self-pity would have been inevitable. And Maher doesn’t lie, there are still days that bring jolting spasms of struggle and separation.

​But then the mind turns to Clonoulty and that surreal August day when it felt as if the entire hurling community carried a young hurler to his final resting place. When that happens, the head always finds its manners.

The week before Dillon died, PĂĄdraic stood chatting to him on the floor of Xtreme gym in Thurles, just a few hundred yards from where we now sit chatting.

What he remembers most is the growing physical presence of a man whose performances for Tipp had been nuggets of consolation from a difficult and ultimately vexatious year.

“Even for the short time I trained with Dillon, you could see he held himself to high standards,” Pádraic says now. “You could see that he was looking after himself, turning into a big man.

“When he came over for the chat that morning, I was nearly taking a step back. I remember thinking how he’d come on massively in physical terms. But that was the last time we spoke.”

Sarsfields had a match in Cashel the evening of the tragedy, Maher keeping an eye on other games through the relentless murmur of Twitter. Detail of what was unspooling in Semple Stadium initially lacked coherence on social media, but it quickly became clear that something serious had occurred.

By the time Pádraic dropped his brother, Ronan, back to collect his car at the Sarsfields clubhouse, they knew that the commotion had been for Dillon, crowds still lingering outside the stadium. But it was only when Maher got home that a friend’s text he will never forget pinged his phone to life. Just three words.

“Dillon is gone”.

The following Monday, Pádraic, Ronan, Larry Corbett and Ger ‘Redser’ O’Grady participated in a ceremony with some of the extended Quirke family, cutting a square of turf from the spot where Dillon had fallen to be taken in a presentation case to the funeral.

The memories of those days retain a starkness that, he doubts, will ever soften.

“Dillon will never be forgotten,” Maher says firmly now. “What his family has gone through and continues to go through is awful. What the people of Clonoulty have been through is awful. But my abiding memory of those few days is of a great sense of unity in people too, of huge camaraderie.

“When a young, healthy person dies, it can never feel natural. And you don’t get over something like that. Like the Quirkes’ lives will never be the same again. But at least they know what their local community feels for them and will always feel.

“All the rest of us can do I suppose is keep his memory going, go and represent him in the best way we can now.

“That’s all I’d imagine Dillon would want or his family would want.”

[image]

Expand Close Liam Cahill / Facebook Twitter Email Whatsapp Liam Cahill

For Maher, the opportunity to do just that arrived quicker than he might reasonably have expected with his acceptance of Liam Cahill’s invitation to become a part of Tipperary’s new management team.

An invitation, he agrees, could not really have come at a better time.

Hurling has been the epicentre of his life all the way back to a childhood spent in close proximity to national heroes of the game like Jimmy Doyle, Mickey ‘The Rattler’ Byrne, and Pat Stakelum.

A six-time All-Star and three-time senior All-Ireland winner himself, Maher now holds status among Tipperary’s finest, but admits he considered himself far from finished with inter-county approaching his 33rd birthday,

“Ah God, I have found it a struggle,” he says now of that January diagnosis. “Sure even still, it’s difficult just trying to find a routine. It happened so fast.

“Like, I had no sense that there was anything serious to worry about here. But it started getting fishy when after getting my MRI done, I got a phone call to get a CAT scan two days later.

“Two days after getting that one done, I got another phone call telling me to go to Limerick for an ultra-sound on my neck. I started wondering at that stage was I being confused with somebody else. I actually asked them if that was the case.

“But no, I was told I needed another one again.

“At this stage, it’s obvious they’re seeing something. But I thought it would only be some kind of muscle injury. Myself and Claire (Gaynor) had got engaged and we were going down to her family for an engagement party on the Friday. As it happened, I was meeting the doctor, Tony Molony, in Henry Street, Limerick that day. I thought, ‘Perfect, get that clear, then down to the party in Ennis’.

“Went in and, to begin with, he didn’t really tell me that I had to retire. He just put these scans on a screen, says, ‘You’re probably wondering why I sent you for all those scans!’

“I replied, ‘To be honest, I thought you were getting me mixed up with someone else’.

“‘No,’ he said. ‘I just wanted to give you the full picture of what’s happening here.

“‘So that’s your brain. See all those dots?’

“Yeah!

“‘They shouldn’t be there! When you get hit, they’re bubbles coming up from a damaged artery (arterial dissection) in your neck. That’s what’s causing you to get dizzy. Basically, it’s a mini-stroke! If you stay playing, that will continue happening and it could cause you to have a major stroke.

“‘It could happen just training or it could happen in a Munster Championship game. You could just take a bang that has that impact. It’s an injury often seen in car crashes with whiplash’.

“So I asked him, ‘Are you telling me to stop?’

“‘Well, I don’t want to be the one to make that decision for you but, if you were my son, yeah that’s what I would tell you,’ he said.

“And the stupid eejit in me replied, ‘What about the club?’

“‘Sure it’s the same thing Pádraic, you can’t take the chance’.”

The MRI, CAT scan and ultra-sound had all been done within a single week. An assortment of different lights shone on the problem, all drawn towards a common target.

Claire suggested cancelling the engagement party, but PĂĄdraic reckoned that to do so would simply lead to too many awkward questions. So they went ahead, but the following morning he was restless for a fast escape.

“In a way, the party took my mind off it a bit,” he reflects now. “But the moment I got up the following morning, I wanted to go. Just felt I had to go home and sort out a lot of stuff.”

Virtually the entire journey home to Thurles was taken up in conversation with Tipp team medic Paul Ryan and former Offaly hurler Brendan Murphy – himself a former team doctor for the Premier County.

“I’d say I rang Brendan three times in one day,” he reflects now. “And two or three times again the following Monday morning. His view was, ‘What have you to gain from taking that chance?’ He said I had to stop.

“Paul said exactly the same.

“I was just hoping for someone to give me a glimmer of hope somewhere, maybe even tell me – if I took a year out – I might be able to come back and play club.

“Like everyone was aware I’d been going for these scans just to make sure everything was fine before I went back with Tipp at the end of January. That Monday morning Éanna Falvey (World Rugby’s chief medical officer) sent the scans down in New Zealand by Dr Molony.

“And he agreed with all the other doctors. I still rang everyone one more time to be sure, but then I said to Claire, ‘I’m not holding this any longer!’ The National League was starting the following Saturday.

“So that Monday night, the two of us put the statement together. And it was when I pressed ‘send’ the following morning . . . that’s when it hit me.

“I was lying in bed as I did it, everything written out. All the messages prepared for the different WhatsApp groups. The Tipperary group. My club group. A message prepared for a lot of my close friends. Because I’d told no one. Then I sent an email on to Tim Floyd, for the county board to release a statement.

“And that’s when, lying in the bed, I started bawling crying. That’s when it hit me. Just the realisation that it was all over.

“Because I wasn’t prepared to finish. I felt as fit as I ever did, felt that the break was going to do me a lot of good. I was looking forward to going back in with Tipp. And I thought I’d still be able to give three or four more good years to the club. We’ve a lot of good young lads coming through and it felt an exciting time.

“But even that’s gone now. So yeah, I did struggle for a good number of months. Still have days I struggle now. Like you’re taken out of your routine. All my life had been based around training, gym, match at the weekend. Like any GAA player, you’re being very selfish to compete. Now it was all gone.

“And all I could think was, ‘F**k, what do I do now?’”

To begin with, staying busy became the only answer, albeit it was all but impossible to drown out the noise building in his head. Ronan after all was Tipp captain for 2022 but as he led the team out in Walsh Park for their Munster Championship opener, his big brother was now in a radio booth, feeling utterly lost.

“You feel you nearly have to reinvent yourself,” Pádraic says now. “Maybe for the first few weeks, there’s almost an adrenaline surge. People are being awful supportive. But Jesus when the lads ran out on the pitch that day in Waterford, I just got this sinking feeling.

“All I could think was, ‘I should be out there!’”

Tipp hurled well that day but ended up losing narrowly, their season subsequently petering out with three more defeats. A whitewash. It resulted in Colm Bonnar’s controversial removal as manager, followed by the appointment of Cahill and Mikey Bevans in his place.

Maher and Cahill are former Thurles Sarsfields team-mates and PĂĄdraic hopes that his voice will carry value within the new regime.

He can, after all, tap into a vast wealth of personal experience.

“I was (Tipp) captain in 2017 and ’18 and, fair enough, we lost out narrowly to Galway in ’17” he says now. “But in ’18 we really struggled with the first year of the round-robin. The year just petered out on us very quickly. And one of my biggest regrets as captain was that that happened. I felt I could have done more.

“Watching Tipp this year, I suppose I didn’t want the same to happen to Ronan.

“I mean I’d have seen players maybe getting frustrated with different things in ’18, sometimes even stupid things. You’d see standards dropping a bit with some players. You’re aware of it, but you’re not speaking up. I suppose it was so hectic at the time, matches coming one week after another.

“If I was back there now, I’d have pulled certain lads aside, told them what they were doing wasn’t good enough. Looking back, I think we kind of just left the thing drift a bit and before we knew it we were gone out of the championship for the year.”

Had he maybe lacked the self-confidence to speak up when that was needed?

“I suppose none of us were really hurling well that year, myself included. And it’s hard to turn to a player and tell him to up his standards when you’re not really playing well yourself. You end up doubting yourself, wondering, ‘Am I doing everything right? What are other lads thinking of me?’

“All of those doubts come into your mind. Maybe I didn’t then have the confidence to go to certain players and say, ‘Lads, what the f**k are ye doing?’ And it all just snowballed then. Again it was the last puck of a game that knocked us out, but we were just struggling that summer.

“So in a sense I felt I knew what Ronan was going through this year. And maybe I can use my experience now to help him come back from a tough year.”

Maher’s career brought him into contact with the two most prolifically successful teams of the modern age (Kilkenny ’09-’15) and Limerick (’18-’22) and he has seen the most momentous shifts in hurling styles, in game-plans, in strength and conditioning metrics and even in collective mindsets. Always someone, somewhere is moving the dial.

Given Limerick have effectively just collected their fourth All-Ireland in five seasons in the absence of marquee forwards Cian Lynch and Peter Casey, the watermark for success has seldom looked more daunting.

Tipp, he feels, have no right to be talking too loudly beyond their station.

They spoke for maybe three hours that night he drove over to Bevans’s house to hear what they had to say about his new role with Tipp. Their thoroughness impressed Maher and, though there’s a wedding planned for May, Claire didn’t hesitate in supporting his decision.

“I consider it an honour to be asked in,” he says emphatically now. “Like I still feel I could run through that window and that’s the frustration of never being able to play again. I’ll still go to a game and there might be a lad older than me playing and I find myself wondering if he appreciates just how lucky he is to be out there.

“But this feels the next best thing. It’s bringing me back into the routines of elite competition again, something I’ve really missed. And I feel I’ve got something to offer.”

And targets for 2023?

“Listen, in Tipp, we’ve got to get our own house in order first and foremost,” he declares. “Only then can we think about the challenge of trying to take down these top teams. The last few years have been poor. Bear in mind, we haven’t hurled in Croke Park since the 2019 All-Ireland hurling final.

“So there are maybe smaller goals for Tipperary to try meeting at the moment. Like obviously trying to be in the top three in Munster for a start. You can’t be thinking too far ahead.

“This is a fairly young Tipp group and the important thing is we get them back enjoying their hurling again. And just see where that takes you.”

[image]

Expand Close Pádraic Maher’s new book / Facebook Twitter Email Whatsapp Pádraic Maher’s new book

A memoir of hurling and commitment by PĂĄdraic Maher is published in trade paperback by Hachette Ireland.
Join PĂĄdraic and fellow GAA All-Stars Patrick Horgan, Eoin Kelly and Tommy Walsh for an in-conversation event at the Anner Hotel, Thurles on Thursday, November 10 at 7.0

4 Likes

Without being a miserable bastard about it, what has Padraic Maher been brought into the backroom team for?

Coaching? Selector? Does he have any experience at all in Management/Coaching?

Just curious and hoping it isn’t a ‘GET FUCKING STUCK IN’ type role that belongs in the past

Yes

No real experience of management/coaching bar helping out with Sars this year and think he’s helping Thurles CBS too.

I’d say his role will be to pass on little bits of advice to younger players about what it takes to be a proper hurler while also being a link between Cahill and the older players.

Whatever about Padraic Maher’s role i do wonder what TJ Ryan, Declan Laffan and Tony Browne will be at.

2 Likes

He’s doing the Sully The Rock role.

1 Like

You can’t have enough of fellas geeing lads up at training.

Tactical role so

I was thinking same - Younger guy in management panel passing on nuggets of knowledge

Makes sense if that’s the case

“When Graeme Mul tackles you, right, try and stay standing and don’t allow yourself to be bowled over on your hole embarrassingly”

2 Likes

Even by the Limerick’s standards, this isn’t your best work.

1 Like

Yerrah I’m hungover

Will Kilruane do anything today?

I’d imagine Kilruane are still half cut.

They won’t no.

Jesus…

For a self proclaimed “ Top Top Poster “ your regression as a poster recently has been alarming.

Perhaps a change of angle or even a rebrand are in order.

Sad viewing at the moment.

1 Like

The 3-in-a-row took my spark away, the hunger isn’t there at the moment

Although a neutral with a cold analytical eye might say that I’ve ruffled some feathers with my little harmless jibe about Pawdee, judging by the reaction…maybe I still got it.

@balbec

1 Like

Kilruane never really stood a chance with the replay and 3 nights on the lash.

They had a lot of walking wounded to start with never mind the end.

Ballygunner on a completely different level.
Their movement both on & off the ball sets them apart.

As regards Kilruane, no shame in that defeat. They played their part and tried throughout.
As you said, replay didn’t help but Ballygunner are miles down the road development & experience wise.

1 Like

JK Brackens finally neat Loughmore in the Mid Football final. The Taliban won’t like that one bit @peddlerscross