Tipperary GAA 2022

Agreed. They were sitting ducks. Ballygunner in fairness participate in a Turkey shoot of a county championship in Waterford where the end goal is to come through unscathed for a tilt at munster and All Ireland. Tipps championship is ultimate last man standing stuff and an end in of itself. There is never much juice left in the tank by time the provincial series takes place. It was noticeable today how many players were wearing some kind of strapping. I suspect if Kilruane had not been on the piss most of the week and had an extra week it would have made for a much more competitive game. In Craig Morgan they would have one of the beat corner backs in the country. Placing him on Hutchinson would not have solved all their problems today but again would have made for a much closer encounter. Hopefully they wont be too discouraged by today. Great to see Seamus Hennessey out there too. Dont know too many players who did as much to get back on the field after all his battles.

1 Like

Almost identical score to the BG game.

Do Roscrea have an All Ireland Senior club won in the late 60s/early 70s?

Won the first one in 1971

1 Like

You can’t beat tradition.

I’m living not too far from Roscrea and it is a grand town despite it’s reputation. After tidying up big time in the past 5 years.

Ballygunner have a bigger pick and better set up than some IC teams. No shame in kilruane falling short today

With the game on TG4 from Walsh Park turning into a bit of a non event at half time, I pointed the car towards Clonoulty for the County Junior B final.

On arrival in the village i was met with tailbacks, Gardai, and stewards - three key performance indicators of ‘bigness’. Solohead emptied the parish and half of West Tipp.

I missed the first few minutes due to the crowd congestion but only actually missed the first Solohead score of the game. The first 20 minutes was all Solohead as they thundered into everything and racing into a 0-06 to 0-01 lead. The Dee brothers to the fore. Sars were slow to get into but eventually settled and a brilliantly taken goal from cult hero Redser O’Grady had them right back in it. There was only a point between them on the stroke of half time when a poxy enough goal went in for Sars and they went in ahead 2-06 to 0-10.

A third Sars goal 10 minutes into the second was a dagger through Solohead and although they kept going right to the end, it wasnt to be. Final score Sars 3-15 to 1-16 Solohead. Apart from the Dee’s (Stephen in particular was phenomenal) Solohead’s game, but limited supporting cast were a little off their slicker opponents. Redser will get all the headlines finishing with 1-03 and he was well helped by Cian Treacy, Paddy Carroll and John Lawlor. They had lads doing reverse handpasses and all kinds of lovely flicks in tough conditions.

They’ll probably piss the All Ireland from here.

Solohead are a real throwback of a club and it was great to see them get such support today. Their management wouldn’t really be dressed like your typical GAA Selectors instead wearing the standard attire you’d see on men of a certain vintage at Sunday Mass. Their supporters were great fun and broke into spontaneous renditions of their chant:

We are green, we are red.
We are mighty Solohead

at various stages throughout the game.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable occasion.

12 Likes

Sad to see the Tipp champions humbled like that today. The club scene there must be in an awful state. Clonea would probably fancy a crack at the Tipp SHC.

6 Likes

They were brilliant at fielding the ball and won a pile of it in the half forward line. However once they broke the tackle they didn’t seem to be any plan at all with what to do with the ball but keep running in to traffic, and eventually get closed down. I thought they do a bit more on the day and push Ballygunner but they were hammered in the end.

They were hammered for most of the last week in fairness :beers::beers:

Regardless, even with all their players and the three weeks between games they should have had, they would have still got well bate.

1 Like

Great report mate :+1:

1 Like

It’s sad really.

The Waterford clubs outside of Ballygunnar remind me of Offaly, Laois and Wexford lads during the period of Kilkenny domination.

1 Like

Yes I suppose they are unfortunate that they are not in a weaker Championship.

Sad to see @Fagan_ODowd piggy back on to Ballygunner’s success.

They wouldnt like that in the Sion Centre i’d say.

4 Likes

Especially given you took the last free space on it

I was worried the 8 week layoff would see Ballygunner very rusty. But they proved me wrong there. Kilruane are better than they showed today. The goals either side of half time killed them. The game was up after the first of them.

That’s a Divisional Double for JK Brackens which is some going for them.

For Loughmore, despite winning the County Double in 2021, they are now only the 3rd best Dual Club in the Mid Division having been outperformed by JK Brackens and Upperchurch this year. The Taliban wont like that.

Serious depth in strength in the Mid Division.

The father was at it. He said there was a huge crowd at it.

1 Like

I thought there was a funeral or something on as well when i got there.

Couldnt believe it when i saw all the cars parked right back into the village.

1 Like