Tipperary Matters

Lar Corbett has to get out the Jeyes fluid and white spirits and scrub down the front of the pub I see

What that poem shows is that there isn’t a lack of plantation surnames in Nenagh anyways.

Significant Protestant population around North Tipp and South Offaly; a lot of Cromwell’s soldiers were given land around Puckaun and Cloughjordan. Lorrha would be another hotbed. Basically a lot of the land between Birr and Lough Derg

Some amount of orange lodges in South Offaly back in the day

Fair few around Borrisokane too.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what these lodges have been turned into? Knocked? Converted into something else? Abandoned etc? It would be interesting to document the buildings that remain in the 26 counties and see what they are being used for now.

Rathdowney. Of course.

https://archive.ph/02Pww

2 Likes

Greed is an nawful thing

https://twitter.com/griptmedia/status/1816778045887283249?t=EHJIvZPnrvtfrC4YjNvFFg&s=19

Terribly sad state of affairs in Dundrum of late.

If i had a few million lying around, I’d love to buy it and turn it into the Carton House of Munster.

Tie in with Knockavilla Kickhams and have every team from the Dublin Footballers to Antrim hurlers rocking on for weekend training camps.

4 Likes

The villages “only” hotel :smiley:

1 Like

It used to have The Rectory too. I remember going there once or twice in the early 2000’s.

And The Golden Vale might have been a kind of hotel at one point.

1 Like

About 5 of us slept in the back of a Hiace outside it one night, does that qualify it as a hotel🤣

It’s a shame what happened to The Rectory. Has the house collapsed at this stage? Dundrum House could and should be thriving. Many a team used it for a weekend away. I might be wrong but I’m sure @Fat_Pox ran into a team while at a wedding years back.

There are houses built in around the Old Rectory now.

Owen Mulligan caused carnage at a wedding in Dundrum House around 2007. Tyrone were staying there before or after a trip to Cork or Kerry in the League.

The chef and maybe ex-owner (I’m not certain) of Dundrum house now runs the lovely restaurant in Pallasgreen

Yeah the Crowes.

Never been to that place but heard good things.

The Brogans bought Dundrum around 2016 or 2017 and i thought they’d have my idea and turn it into a Carton House type place but they didn’t do anything and just sold out a couple of years later.

Careful now you’ll be called racist by the screaming marys.

Its a disgrace. A lovely part of the country.

1 Like

The father stopped in coming back from the Gaelic Grounds after the Minor Semi. Said it was lovely. He’d the beef. The meal was slightly ruined when Henry Martin introduced himself.

2 Likes