Tom Humphries thread

Sweep sweep

I’m bowing out. Football is over and it’s late.

Children’s officers have to be vetted. They also have to attend a course on the role before they can be appointed. Club officers also need to be vetted.

This isn’t a coaching discussion and I honestly haven’t a clue why you are even bringing that up here. You said it’s a box ticking exercise. I asked for an alternative to it and you have none. This isn’t a gaa issue, it’s all sporting bodies in the country. Vetting can only do so much. It’s limited that it can’t stop first time offenders

4 Likes

Which roles? That’s a different issue entirely is it??

Disregard that. What @Gman said.

In short,yes. I know someone who has had some involvement in the vetting process. They were horrified by some of the stuff. People trying to get vetting under different names or similar names to see if they can get through the net. Trying multiple time. Remember many of them aren’t named publicly to protect the victim’s identity.
Like I said, I’d imagine gaa clubs will be pretty tight on this from now on but there are many organisations that can’t be as tight. Smaller charities are often a target apparently.

1 Like

If we just lower the age of consent to 14 we could get rid of a lot of this…

You’re just moving the line though? Now if you remove the need for consent you change it entirely…

A course :see_no_evil:

We learn nothing do we
What do they do after that?

All these new roles have added nothing only red tape to the GAA.

One man, if even performing, has to tell all the otgers the basics of dealing with kids. Its a joke.

“The key role of the Club Children’s Officer is to ensure the implementation and promotion of the relevant Child Welfare and Protection Codes and Guidelines for good practice in their Club/County so as to ensure that young people can participate, enjoy and benefit from our Gaelic Games in safe and enjoyable surroundings.”

FFS thats coaching kids 1.01

This is a beautiful example of how shot and missing the point gaa coaching courses are.

Ban this sick shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjy-OMIyXbg

:rollseyes:

1 Like

I am surprised at that.
But fair enough. Vetting works there obviously

Coaching is a seperate issue entirely.

Vetting isn’t going to be a silver bullet solution, but it does place child protection to the forefront of running any underage club. No more than KP was saying earlier in the thread about putting on bibs on kids etc, if it makes everyone think about how they’re dealing with the kids in their care, and think about any potential threats to their safety, then it’s certainly an improvement. As with anything else, that mindset or culture has to be installed first, and then it can be improved upon. Legislative requirements coming into force will make it necessary in any case but having the correct structures in place will be a good start.

3 Likes

I just showed the description the GAA put up for the role of children officer.

All coaches should act and be taught this way.

It is the coaches that spend the most time with kids. They are central to everything.

If legislation is coming in, which i agree with in principal, it should cover the coaches before anyone else. I would live to see legislation that demands a higher level of coaching education. And i emphasize i am not talking about the actual technicalities of the game. I am talking about defining what coaching is properly and emphasizing the role in a bio-psycho-social type model and to promote a child centred approach

Reading the internet from your parents house all day long does not constitute an education or any indication of intelligence. You are not a smart individual, which is unfortunate for someone of your hubris. You are, however, someone who should have limited contact with real people, which is the current scenario it seems, luckily enough.

Coaches this & that always with you you money hungry Cark cunt.

Pay up your club membership, join the committee & take those ideas to the Juvenile Board who will take them to Bord Na Og you tight prick.

1 Like

You could bring this up at your Club AGM, mate. You’ll have to stump up a few quid to get a vote though.

@caoimhaoin, I have no time for lads who go on the gravy train coaching teams outside their club (adult or juvenile). Clubs are crying out for help.

Not one person outside my own club (fr o neills) coach outside the club. We are close to gaining senior status and our juvenile record is testament to trojan efforts of club officers.

This is what the gaa is all about and what Brolly often references, the selfless work of volunteers.

10 Likes

Do ye have lads bringing their youngsters down from the city? Surely the majority will settle outside the parish?

No.

But, but, but.

Being a volunteer involves joining the club, putting your shoulder to the wheel. Doing courses in your own free time. Late evenings etc.

Kev used to do this apparently but he will be too busy now as an online Campaign Manager for a Current Co Board Coaching Officer who teaches Club Coaches.

Hypocrisy 1.01 eh.

2 Likes

Well, have you solved the case yet?