Topics specific to Grand Canal Dock, its environs and, most importantly, its inhabitants

Typical Nordies

1 Like

A fancy restaurant was never going to be a sucess slap bang in the middle of a red light district. No surprise it closed.

1 Like

@Bandage was your electricity gone for a time yesterday evening?

No, pal. But there was an outage affecting a selection of business premises, residences and traffic lights all the way from Baggot Street down to Ringsend Road for a period between 5pm and 6pm yesterday. Hope you weren’t impacted, mate.

Not to mention street lighting, bud. It was a bit strange walking from the Dublin bike stand on Barrow Street to my house in complete darkness. Ours went alright but I was only home 5 minutes before it came back again so I chalked that down to a victory of sorts for yours truly.

Is the bike stand opposite Shelbourne Park not closer to your humble abode?

No coming down from the Grand Canal area, Barrrow Street is closer or at least in my head it is But it’s marginal alright, pal.

No coming down from the Grand Canal area, Barrrow Street is closer or at least in my head it is But it’s marginal alright, pal.

Strolling around Grand Canal Dock at the moment as I have the afters of a wedding in The Marker hotel later. Can anyone recommend a decent place to eat? What are they doing to Bolands Mills?

Decent grub in the Marker. Mixed use residential and commercial for Bolands Mills.

1 Like

Where have you gone, mate?

Milanos is lovely.

Staying in the Clayton so we decided to go there. I went for the Singapore Noodles and herself went for the Tiger Prawn Chilli & Basil Stir Fry. Both hit the spot.

The Clayton do a “delivery service” where they deliver your food to your room in take away containers. They charge €3 for this. We did not avail of this and ate in the bar.

@Bandage

they say Dublin is like a jungle, what kind of animal do you see yourself as? I always think of you as a fox, very strategic

1 Like

I see myself as a lion, mate. I’m one of the Big 5• and King of the Jungle^.

• accountancy firm trained, now big 4.
^ the financial jungle.

3 Likes

Alas, my acute business acumen was bang on the money yet again. Strolled down to here yesterday at lunchtime to get a coffee but was disappointed but not surprised to find that this coffee shop has appeared to have ceased trading. Shutters down on the window and bins in front of the door. Just that bit too far away from the business district of GCD to attract the clientele they wanted I would imagine.

On a side note, the Oarsman appears to be doing a cracking lunch trade judging by the numbers sitting in the windows when I passed.

1 Like

Well called, pal. I never frequented the place but I saw a couple of good reviews for it from “foodies” and hipster types in the media. But you’re right - who in Irishtown is going to pay a premium for fair trade coffee, excellent cheeses and some fine wines? It may actually have been a success if it was located where The Oarsman itself is. As you say, it was just too far away from the scooter brigade in GCD.

1 Like

Foodies and hipster types are grand in so far as they go but those cunts don’t spend any money. If these places can’t do a steady trade in mug businessmen then they will go out of business lickety split.

4 Likes

Ya I wonder how many of these Foodsters were given a free meal in return for a review?

100% of them