Topics specific to Grand Canal Dock, its environs and, most importantly, its inhabitants

[ATTACH=full]2362[/ATTACH] [QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1088881, member: 332”]I always wondered what they were doing in the mill that was relatively far away from the rest of their positions.
So the mount street bridge & bolands mill troop were essentially one and the same. Makes sense.[/QUOTE]
The Volunteers were positioned in the bakery building shown here at the junction of Grand Canal St and Great Clarence St (now Macken St). As you can see the corn mill building down at the then Victoria Bridge was somewhat out of the way.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1088892, member: 706”][ATTACH=full]2362[/ATTACH]
The Volunteers were positioned in the bakery building shown here at the junction of Grand Canal St and Great Clarence St (now Macken St). As you can see the corn mill building down at the then Victoria Bridge was somewhat out of the way.[/QUOTE]
The Rebels positioning was really terrible in 1916.
Telling that in the only place they really had a strategic location, i.e.the river crossing at Mount Street Bridge, was their biggest success.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1088892, member: 706”][ATTACH=full]2362[/ATTACH]
The Volunteers were positioned in the bakery building shown here at the junction of Grand Canal St and Great Clarence St (now Macken St). As you can see the corn mill building down at the then Victoria Bridge was somewhat out of the way.[/QUOTE]
There’s a big plaque on the corner of Macken Street commemorating the whole shebang.

And to get back to @TreatyStones earlier point, the officer commanding in Bolands Mill in 1916 was Eamon de Valera, the party he later founded did more to gentrify the place than any others.

And the last time I heard Ringsend national school was under subscribed. It’s traditionally been the poorer relation of the 3 primary schools that service the southern part of the Grand Canal area, Haddington rd and Star of the Sea are the other 2.

There seems to be a set of rugby goal posts floating in the dock this evening :eek:

Pic please.

[ATTACH=full]2375[/ATTACH] [QUOTE=“Juhniallio, post: 1090885, member: 53”]Pic please.[/QUOTE]

Dreadfully irresponsible, can you imagine the amount of rugby fans who could die this weekend trying to score a try into those?

GCD comes alive during “the championship”. :clap:

The atmosphere around these parts this weekend will be savage. @glasagusban knock around D4 on Saturday night-if you can’t get your hole on Valentine’s night in D4 after an Ireland rugby match you may as well cut the fucking thing off. The desperation in the air will be tangible.

I’ll be at the limerick match you spastic.

Good man. Make sure to buy a programme so you know who the players are-nothing worse than some numpty roaring the wrong names at players.

useless cunts like glasagus ban tend to avoid these environments as its less humiliating to say you weren’t there at all than to have to say you were there and explain how you were the only gombeen who hadnt the gumption or the drive to get his hole.
they can be great weekends alright when you are young and in your prime as the best of fanny is dolled up to the nines and dripping with a want that just doesnt exist anywhere else.

Heard today it went in without a permit and needs to be removed. Unluhhhy locozade.

A silver lining, indeed. They should put a litter warden on overtime and fine every cunt who tries kicking shit over it while pissed. I imagine they’ll be fishing shoes out of the water for weeks.

Wow. Just wow. More Priory Hall type shenanigans going on.

http://www.newstalk.com/Fire-safety-Longboat-Quay-Dublin-Docklands-deficiencies-complex

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1097050, member: 9”]Wow. Just wow. More Priory Hall type shenanigans going on.

http://www.newstalk.com/Fire-safety-Longboat-Quay-Dublin-Docklands-deficiencies-complex[/QUOTE]
The sub-heading of that article is appallingly written.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fresh-apologises-for-asking-staff-to-speak-english-1971865-Mar2015/

Not just GCD obviously

@Bandage[/USER] , [USER=1074]@Sandymount Red , @other locals. Have you dined in the Mourne Seafood Bar yet? Oh my, it is sensational, absolutely top drawer.

Was In there a few weeks back, the Seabream was delightful. The bar there is nice too.

What’s the latest with The Yacht? I noticed there’s some building work going on out the back of it. Afaik the back bit didn’t belong to Bob Prior and no exit out the back would have been a major spanner in the works if they were looking at a big development.

[QUOTE=“Sandymount Red, post: 1126073, member: 1074”]Was In there a few weeks back, the Seabream was delightful. The bar there is nice too.

What’s the latest with The Yacht? I noticed there’s some building work going on out the back of it. Afaik the back bit didn’t belong to Bob Prior and no exit out the back would have been a major spanner in the works if they were looking at a big development.[/QUOTE]
Haven’t heard anything lately about it lately. Is there not an exit to Fitzwilliam Street out the back?

I had monkfish with prawns in a coconut curry with rice. It was unreal, unbelievable.