Transfer Window - Summer 2008

Didnt even realise he was still playing, I guess that divorce hit him hard

Parlour looks set for retirement

Parlour spent 20 years at Arsenal (GETTY)
Former England and Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour says it looks like his football career is coming to an end.

His last professional game was at Hull in the 2006/07 season and despite training with Barnet last term, a knee injury thwarted his hopes of a deal.

Parlour, 35, told BBC London 94.9: "You do miss it. Especially the day-to-day banter and playing games on Saturday.

“Your bonus is the Saturday, walking around the stadium with the crowd and the atmosphere.”

And Parlour added: “You do miss it, it’s impossible not to.”

Parlour made nearly 400 appearances for Arsenal and played 10 times for England.

During his Arsenal career Parlour won three FA Premier League titles, four FA Cups, one League Cup and one European Cup Winners’ Cup medal.

Despite the knee injury he suffered last season, Parlour had hoped to return to the game but when asked whether or not he has officially retired the Romford-born player conceded that his playing days now look to be over.

He said: “It looks like it is going that way.”

Parlour, who also played for Middlesbrough, would still like to keep himself busy by maintaining his involvement in football.

He stated: “I don’t know if I’m going to do my coaching badges yet. I probably will do, so I’m looking that way as well so we’ll soon see what happens.”

I’m very privileged to have played at Arsenal during my career

Ray Parlour
Parlour says he still enjoys following Arsenal because he has so many fond memories of the club.

“I’m very privileged to have played at Arsenal during my career and I enjoyed every minute of it and I do miss it,” he said.

"I follow Arsenal quite a lot and I go over to the training ground quite a bit still and watch the games. I like to keep involved with Arsenal because it is such a great club.

“I was there many years, I signed as a 12-year-old and left at 32. So 20 years of your life is a long time. I’ll always have Arsenal in my heart.”

The Romford Pele…

when hoddle was over england he sent the team to eileen drury (the faith healer) and when parlour sat down in the chair and she put her hands on his head he asked her for a short back and sides…hoddle never picked him again…

…and parlour never got his short back and sides…

so crouch is heading to portsmouth - anyone on the radar for liverpool as a replacement?

Lampard, age 30, looking for a 5-year contract and Stg140k a week. How stupid does he think Chelsea are?

Big news today is that Port Vale have taken Australian left sided player Chris Bardosse on trial.

David Villa was mentioned by Benitez yesterday. He’s well out of Liverpool’s price range though.

This might seem a more realistic move, from F365

RAFA CONFIRMS HE WANTS KEANE

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has revealed his interest in signing Robbie Keane, but has ruled out a move for David Villa.

Benitez is in the market for striking reinforcements with Peter Crouch on the verge of a move to Portsmouth and has been linked with moves for Tottenham star Keane and Valencia hit-man Villa.

Keane’s future at White Hart Lane has been the subject of speculation in recent weeks, with reports suggesting Spurs would listen to offers for the Republic of Ireland international.

Villa has been a long-term target for Benitez, but the former Valencia boss admits it is unlikely the Reds will be signing the Euro 2008 top scorer.

“I said the other day that he is one of the names we had on our list, but I can say at this moment that it is not an option for us,” said Benitez.

"We know Villa is a very good player, we know the price and we know the players we have, so when you consider everything we decided he was one of the names, but at this moment, not our target.

“Keane is one of the other names and okay we are still working with other names. We were in contact and we will see now.”

I don’t think this was mentioned but apparently Mauro Zarate has been signed by Lazio for roughly 20m

Robbie Fowler has signed for Blackburn

Thats a shock move altogether

Shows some ambition on Inces part. Maybe Fowler has a few houses in Blackburn?

Benitez rules out move for Villa

Villa missed out on the Euro 2008 final through injury
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has ruled out an immediate move for Spain striker David Villa, but has admitted he is interested in signing Robbie Keane.

Peter Crouch’s imminent move to Portsmouth means Liverpool are in the market for a new striker and on Tuesday Benitez admitted Villa was an option.

“I said the other day that he is one of the names we had on our list,” the Spaniard said of the Valencia forward.

“But I can say at this moment that it is not an option for us.”

He added: “We know Villa is a very good player, we know the price and we know the players we have, so when you consider everything we decided he was one of the names, but at this moment, not our target.”

Tottenham striker Keane has also been linked with a move to Anfield this summer and Benitez admitted he is one of several options the club are currently looking at.

606: DEBATE
I would choose between Robbie Keane or Villa, but Keane if anyone - proven goalscorer in the Prem

NutsaboutPool
“Keane is one of the other names and OK, we are still working with other names. We were in contact and we will see now.”

However, Liverpool could be priced out of a move for the 28-year-old Irishman as Benitez continues his search for a partner for Fernando Torres.

The 23-year-old Spaniard scored 33 goals in a spectacular first season at Anfield, but the club’s other strikers only managed a combined total of 17 goals to undermine any hopes of launching a sustained Premier League title challenge.

Villa, 26, scored 18 league goals for Valencia last season and was the top scorer at Euro 2008, notably scoring a hat-trick against Russia in a Group D match.

And he also proved he could form an effective partnership with Torres, despite pre-tournament concerns that Spanish coach Luis Aragones would be forced to leave one out in order to select a balanced team.

Nasri gone to the Gooners.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3805050,00.html

Odd purchase by Blackburn. I actually wonder who’s the better player - Fowler or Larsson?

Start a thread there Bandage about the Fowler Larsson debate. I don’t recall there ever being one :wink:

Now, Larsson by a mile… But i would take Fowler in his day over any other striker ever.

Stan Collymore was the greatest striker England never had, fucking unrivalled talent, pity he was such a space cadet.

??

fowler is not exactly a player that did it regulary at international or top european level -

??

I never said he did