Transfer Window - Summer 2008

Agree absoluetly there MBB…

Chocolate Mice, what cocktail of drugs have you been taking so far this morning?

I am not getting into this debate with a load of Celtic heads, i understand totally why Larsson is regarded as a Legend but this is my team and i shall pick who i want !!

Shearer wasnt fit to clean Collymores boots.

Really convincing argument there ChocolateMice. Good that you are able to substantiate on your opinions.

Remember Collymore’s goal on his debut against Sheffield Wednesday?

Then in the later days of his career he moved to Bradford and score a hat-trick on his debut including a bicycle kick.

The guy had so much ability but wasn’t well in the head.

Apparently he was hated by the rest of the Liverpool team…

Watching those 4-3 matches against Newcastle on LFC TV a few weeks back. Some goals were scored in those matches between Fowler, Collymore and Asprillia. Tremendous footballers in their prime…

I remember the first time I saw Collymore playing, Forrest againt United I think it was, took off from half way and buried a screamer in top corner, couldnt believe that someone could do that. The guy had it all, power, pace, touch. When you see how Ferguson has handled young players its a pity someone didnt get a handle on Collymore in the same way. Complete nut job, but what a player.

That Pool team was great to watch going forward, nothing going backwards mind you, but those 4-3’s with Newcastle really were the halcyon days of the Premier League.

Thanks Larry, it’s something i have been working on… I am not getting sucked in, its a matter of opinion …50 goals in any league is great but at his peak fowler hit 30+ for 3 seasons playing in England

He never really played Champions league , and Internationally has been unlucky. Hoddle made a cunt out of him and not many would have broke the partnership of Shearer and Sheringham that flourished in Euro 96… Larsson on the other hand has never really had any compettion and things are so bad he was asked back this year… (this does not take away from his international goals tho)

Larsson has had the better career while fowlers promised so much but injuries have left us saying IF only, he had the potential to be the best and in the dark days of the 90’s he was about the only thing Liverpool fans had to shout about… every now and then i youtube his goals, there has never been a more natural finisher ! never … Larsson has more to his game but as an out and out striker Fowler would piss on him…

The fact that Blackburn and many other teams are still willing to give him a chance speaks volumes about, not the player he is, but the player he was and the hope he might recapture some of that form (very unlikely) and on his day i would take him over anyone…after all, he is God !

I just got sucked in…

[quote=“myboyblue”]I remember the first time I saw Collymore playing, Forrest againt United I think it was, took off from half way and buried a screamer in top corner, couldnt believe that someone could do that. The guy had it all, power, pace, touch. When you see how Ferguson has handled young players its a pity someone didnt get a handle on Collymore in the same way. Complete nut job, but what a player.

That Pool team was great to watch going forward, nothing going backwards mind you, but those 4-3’s with Newcastle really were the halcyon days of the Premier League.[/quote]

Remember that game as well. I think they beat United that day in Old Trafford and Collymore scored twice - the other being a bullet header. Ferguson wanted him but then they were offered Andy Cole by Newcastle which left Liverpool free to take him.

Remember when he joined I was sure that Liverpool would win the league - but as you said the defence was the problem with that joker Ruddock there. A far worse defender than Phil Babb and I’d say he had some influence on the dressing room with hios ‘win or lose we are on the booze’ mentality…

Ruddocks summed up all that was wrong with Pool at the time, a culture that should have been weeded out, but was left to fester and grow by a weak Evans. Culling one or two of the Ruddock’s of that team would have gone a long way to weeding out the problem, but Evans hadnt got the balls, instead just handed his daughter over to them to do as they wished it seems. The Spice Boys name was well earned.

fowler was class.one of the calmest finishers i ever saw…virtually had no back lift when he shot so it was impossible for defenders to know if he was taking a touch or a shot…he had such a calm head on a pitch when he got the ball to feet…Collymore was more athletic and a one man show…he’d take off on a run and through strength and pace hit the ball as hard as he cud and it might fly in top corner…when he was good he was brilliant…always showed glimpses of what he could do but could never do it consistantly…personally with both in their prime I would have definitely preferred fowler…Larsson and fowler is hard to call…Larsson probably shades it on attitude and willingness to keep going whereas Fowler could sulk at times

Loyal clubman or shocking lack of ambition?

commits future to Newcastle Print
Email+
Share11/07/2008 - 13:59:47
Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given has committed his future to Newcastle amid speculation he is wanted by Arsenal.

The 32-year-old Irishman insists he is happy at St James’ Park.

Arsene Wenger is known to be an admirer of the Lifford-born goalkeeper and is understood to have identified him as a possible target.

However, Given claims he has heard nothing and is concentrating on regaining full fitness after surgery on a groin injury which sidelined him for much of last season.

the old larsson v fowler debate eh. and good to see collymorrs name being thrown in there with a straight face while somehow contorting to blame ruddock for collymore being utterly dreadful at the only big club he was ever at.

fowler had potential to be great but didnt deliver on it at the top level. and blackburn signing him is far more of an indictment of ince than a reflection on fowler.

[quote=“therock67”]the old larsson v fowler debate eh. and good to see collymorrs name being thrown in there with a straight face while somehow contorting to blame ruddock for collymore being utterly dreadful at the only big club he was ever at.

fowler had potential to be great but didnt deliver on it at the top level. and blackburn signing him is far more of an indictment of ince than a reflection on fowler.[/quote]

Are the keyboards bad over there Rocko? It’s unlike you to have posts with sloppy spelling. Frankly, there’s no excuse for it.

If I was a Blackburn supporter, I’d already be questioning Ince based on this ridiculous signing. Fowler’s attitude has been horrendous for a good 7 years and he basically wasted his career.

[quote=“therock67”]the old larsson v fowler debate eh. and good to see collymorrs name being thrown in there with a straight face while somehow contorting to blame ruddock for collymore being utterly dreadful at the only big club he was ever at.

fowler had potential to be great but didnt deliver on it at the top level. and blackburn signing him is far more of an indictment of ince than a reflection on fowler.[/quote]

1. Collymore scored 28 goals in 63 appearances for Liverpool - hardly ‘utterly dreadful’
  2. No one blamed Ruddock for Collymore’s attitude. I blamed Ruddock for being utterly shite and being a terrible influence on the Spice Boys of which Collymore wasn’t really a part due to the fact that the rest of the team hated him.
  3. From my point of view anyway I always thought Collymore was tremendously gifted but his career wasn’t exactly a sparkling success and I never said it was…

I believe I said Collymore was the greatest striker England never had. He had it all talent wise, but, like I said, he was a space cadet and wasted his talent, soemthing he realised far too late.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]1. Collymore scored 28 goals in 63 appearances for Liverpool - hardly ‘utterly dreadful’
2. No one blamed Ruddock for Collymore’s attitude. I blamed Ruddock for being utterly shite and being a terrible influence on the Spice Boys of which Collymore wasn’t really a part due to the fact that the rest of the team hated him.
3. From my point of view anyway I always thought Collymore was tremendously gifted but his career wasn’t exactly a sparkling success and I never said it was…[/quote]

1 he was an utter flop
2 the implication was that ruddock ruined liverpool on fowler and collymore - not the fault of the two wasters so
3 try and be consistent - you called him.the greatest striker england never had.

4 apologies bandage posting from my mp4 player so no keyboard.

[quote=“therock67”]
3 try and be consistent - you called him.the greatest striker england never had.[/quote]

Nope, that was me. For his talent, he was the greatest striker they never had, he had it all, just missing the cop not to waste it.

[quote=“therock67”]1 he was an utter flop
2 the implication was that ruddock ruined liverpool on fowler and collymore - not the fault of the two wasters so
3 try and be consistent - you called him.the greatest striker england never had.

4 apologies bandage posting from my mp4 player so no keyboard.[/quote]

1. How was he an utter flop? Fucking 28 goals in 63 games!!!
  2. Fowler scored a shitful of goals dfuring that time as well. If they had a proper defence they could have won the league. Fowler and Collymore did their bit.
  3. There is a hint in that to the fact that he never made it for England and hence had a bad career but that he had so much ability…

Paul Byrne had more talent than Stan Collymore. I wouldn’t consider comparing him to Steven Gerrard though.***
**There is no way that Collymore or Fowler were nearly as talented as Larsson was.