Transfer Window - Summer 2008

[quote=“ChocolateMice”]

His honours read well, but in fairness any top professional would swap half of them for One Premiership or a La Liga.[/quote]

That is simply ridiculous.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]i dont follow english football so i wouldnt know but did larsson win an epl?
[/quote]

Henrik did get a medal after United requested a medal for him and Alan Smith.

thought he joined them - blackburn leeds much of a muchness

cheers captain

[quote=“north county corncrake”]cheers captain[/QUOTE

Fowler still pisses on him as striker…

We can dismiss all your comments about Robbie Fowler so

i follow european football & international football, when fowler had his few good seasons in english football ,english football was pretty poor in european terms, he never did much at international level or in europe & when the standard in the epl he slipped away

so your telling me that if you wernt a fan of Italian football in the 80’s you couldnt express a view about whether maradona was a good player?

[quote=“north county corncrake”]i follow european football & international football, when fowler had his few good seasons in english football ,english football was pretty poor in european terms, he never did much at international level or in europe & when the standard in the epl he slipped away

so your telling me that if you wernt a fan of Italian football in the 80’s you couldnt express a view about whether maradona was a good player?[/quote]

I don’t really follow the SPL so I wasn’t going to get involved in a debate of Fowler v’s Laarson. Depending on your team of choice, people are most likely to be someway biased towards the players they support or have supported anyway.

You’re entitled to have your opinion on players but when you say you don’t really follow the league they play in you can’t really compare them to players you watch week in week out in another.

Fowler has massively underachieved in his career. A mixture of injuries at the wrong time and complacency meant he put on a few pounds and lost a few yards of pace that he never got back. To put him in the same bracket as centre forward/centre back - warhurst, kevin philips or ian Woan (seriously??) is ridiculous though.

As an aside, Liverpool produced two excellent homegrown strikers in Fowler & Owen within few years. How likely is that happen these days?

Seriously, anyone who thinks Robbie Fowler is, was or ever will be a better player than Henrik Larsson must be a little bit touched.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]you were the one that brought in medals to the debate, henrik also won the golden boot

anyway Larsson played for Feyenord Celtic Barca & Manchester
fowler played for Liverpool cardiff & blackburn[/quote]

you can add leeds and man city to that list…i believe he scored the quickest hat trick in prtemier league history against arsenal as well…

looking at this debate as an outsider…larsson certainly had the better career, but fowler was a more naturally gifted footballer…if fowler had larsson’s attitude and work rate he would have been unbelievable (think i made a similar point about ibrahimovic during the euro’s)

as to who was the better player well that is subjective but larsson porbably gets the nod due to his longevity but if you gave me a choice of fowler in his prime 94/95/96 or larsson in his 01/02/03 i would pick fowler…

how is it much of a muchness…just shows how much you really know…leeds were one of the top teams in england during fowlers time there but he had to be sold due to leeds making a balls of themselves…he played quiet well at leeds and scored a good few goals despite leeds struggling under venables during robbie’s last season there…

one middle of the road english team or another middle of the road english team

both never won the CL, both have one one epl trophy in the last 40 years , as i said i dont follow the epl but from the outside looking in i cant see much difference

[quote=“The Puke”]you can add leeds and man city to that list…i believe he scored the quickest hat trick in prtemier league history against arsenal as well…

looking at this debate as an outsider…larsson certainly had the better career, but fowler was a more naturally gifted footballer…if fowler had larsson’s attitude and work rate he would have been unbelievable (think i made a similar point about ibrahimovic during the euro’s)

as to who was the better player well that is subjective but larsson porbably gets the nod due to his longevity but if you gave me a choice of fowler in his prime 94/95/96 or larsson in his 01/02/03 i would pick fowler…[/quote]

come again , english football was poor enough back then, he was decent against poor teams - larsson played a major major role in winning the CL for barca - fowler was never a CL or international class striker

i honestly find it utterly astonishing that anyone who has followed any of larssons career over the past decade could consider him in any way even broadly equitable with - never mind inferior to - fowler.

robbie fowler achieved nothing in the game. he loked great for a while in the way philips did or in the way dalian atkinson was unstoppable for a few months. suggesting that makes him anything near as good as swedens best ever striker is ridiculous.

forget what sky tell you about fowler and those often dragged out silly quotes about his finishing prowess in training. it’s utterly insulting to the great strikers like gerd muller or lineker to suggest that fowler was on a par in terms of finishing ability. he was a flash in the pan but the fans loved him so all is forgiven.

and the great liverpool fans didnt have much sympathy for owen when he was injured so bringinh up untimely injuries is just fanning the flames of misguided nostalgia. larsson suffered a horrific double leg break and came back better than ever.

larsson at his peak won it all apart from a world cup - though third place wasnt bad at all. fowler at his peak scored goals in a fledgling league dominated by englishmen who had achieved nothing of note.

and just to say that talking about larssons workrate as a virtue is a touch condescending.he worked his socks off the same as every other great player. what was truly majestic was his first touch and his heading ability. on skill level alone he was on another planet to fowler.

[quote=“therock67”]i honestly find it utterly astonishing that anyone who has followed any of larssons career over the past decade could consider him in any way even broadly equitable with - never mind inferior to - fowler.

robbie fowler achieved nothing in the game. he loked great for a while in the way philips did or in the way dalian atkinson was unstoppable for a few months. suggesting that makes him anything near as good as swedens best ever striker is ridiculous.

forget what sky tell you about fowler and those often dragged out silly quotes about his finishing prowess in training. it’s utterly insulting to the great strikers like gerd muller or lineker to suggest that fowler was on a par in terms of finishing ability. he was a flash in the pan but the fans loved him so all is forgiven.

and the great liverpool fans didnt have much sympathy for owen when he was injured so bringinh up untimely injuries is just fanning the flames of misguided nostalgia. larsson suffered a horrific double leg break and came back better than ever.

larsson at his peak won it all apart from a world cup - though third place wasnt bad at all. fowler at his peak scored goals in a fledgling league dominated by englishmen who had achieved nothing of note.

and just to say that talking about larssons workrate as a virtue is a touch condescending.he worked his socks off the same as every other great player. what was truly majestic was his first touch and his heading ability. on skill level alone he was on another planet to fowler.[/quote]

yes,all that seems fair enough

leeds finished fifth and fifteenth in the two seasons fowler spent there. thats sort of blackburn territory really. he didnt score in europe for them either.
and he wasnt divorced from leeds struggling - he was part of the reason for it.

[quote=“The Puke”]you can add leeds and man city to that list…i believe he scored the quickest hat trick in prtemier league history against arsenal as well…

as to who was the better player well that is subjective but larsson porbably gets the nod due to his longevity but if you gave me a choice of fowler in his prime 94/95/96 or larsson in his 01/02/03 i would pick fowler…[/quote]

Won’t go over the same ground as rock but I find it hard to believe tha you think fowler was a more naturally gifted footballer. Do you watch football outside of the epl puke? Don’t want to make it into epl debate but fail to see how anyone with a decent knowledge of european football could possibly determine equate fowler with liverpool.

[quote=“therock67”]leeds finished fifth and fifteenth in the two seasons fowler spent there. thats sort of blackburn territory really. he didnt score in europe for them either.
and he wasnt divorced from leeds struggling - he was part of the reason for it.[/quote]

i would disagree with you there rock when fowler signed leeds were top the the premier league and when he was fit he played well but too injury prone and always seemed a bit of a lad…i dont know whta ye are getting so defensive for lads all i said was that fowler in his early years was unreal(which he was, fact) and i stand by that, i agree he didnt fulfil his potential and i also said above that i thought larson was a better player…

chill out lads ye will live longer…no need to be such celtic fundamentalists like…

i would watch and read a fair amount about european football and i do watch other leagues and i am as entitled as any other person to draw my opinions from this…but ye are missing my point gents i basically said when fowler bust on the scene he was a fair talent and had three great seasons at liverpool and i also said that i thought larsson was a better footballer…

[quote=“therock67”]i honestly find it utterly astonishing that anyone who has followed any of larssons career over the past decade could consider him in any way even broadly equitable with - never mind inferior to - fowler.

and just to say that talking about larssons workrate as a virtue is a touch condescending.he worked his socks off the same as every other great player. what was truly majestic was his first touch and his heading ability. on skill level alone he was on another planet to fowler.[/quote]

Players like Larsson, Keane etc had to have a massive work rate to compensate for a lack of Natural talent that players like Fowler had.
Fowler didn’t have much to do in a game but when he did it it was out of this world… Ian Rush described him as the most natural finisher he had ever seen.

The standard of football in a Fledgling premier league is still a level above anything scotland has produced and where Larsson scored 220 of his 380 goals…so that leaves him with 160 real goals in a career stretching 15 years…but i forgot, as a Journeyman he won the CL, Prem(special aplication) and 2 La liga’s (32 appearances)…