Transfer Window - Summer 2008

[quote=“Bandage”]I’m not sure of its accuracy as I lifted it from another forum but I think Gravesen is one alright. I’m pretty sure we signed him on a 2-year deal with us retaining the option for a third year. Obviously we won’t look to keep him so he’ll be released in the summer after his two years - 1 with us and 1 on loan at Everton.

Klasnic would be a belter to get alright. I think Lampard is incorrect - I think he has 14 months to run on his deal rather than being on a Bosman this summer. I really like Modric as an all round midfield player and he’d be a great addition to any team.

Clarkey and anyone else, are you sure that Bentley’s not just another one of these completely over-hyped English players? I liked Babel at Ajax and he’s shown flashes of quality this season despite being inconsistent on the whole - I’d expect him to be much better next season. I agree if Liverpool get the right full backs, Modric and maybe someone other than Bentley on the right then they’ll have a formidable looking team.[/quote]

A quick google suggests it was a 3 year deal for Gravesen according to The Guardian , realmadrid.dk and Man United Fever

I’m not sure about that given media sources sometimes report these two year plus option of an extension contracts as a straightforward 3-year deal. I’d got my hopes up that he’d be gone this summer but if he does have another year he’ll probably sit on his salary for another season as we try to find some fools to take him on loan and at least pay part of his wages. I’ll check what celticfc.net archives say.

Celtic are linked with Ognjen Vukojevic in the papers today. He’s an ‘uncompromising defensive midfield player’ capped 3 times by Croatia and plays with Dinamo Zagreb. He’s 24 years-old and is also reportedly being tracked by Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Espanyol and broke up Darren Fletcher in the Scotland-Croatia friendly recently. If he’s neat on the ball as well as being tough and strong in the tackle then he’s the exact type of player we need in our midfield. A few of us have said it on here before too but given Celtic’s transfer spending constraints we need to be exhausting markets like Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic etc and trying to sign talented players at a relatively young age for fees downwards from 3m or so.

Religious differences aside, if Fulham get relegated, Celtic could do worse than pick up David Healy for around 1 million.

Religion’s irrelevant to Celtic when signing players. I don’t know what Healy morphs into when he plays for the country that doesn’t actually exist but he’s never, ever impressed me with any of his club teams and I think we do an awful lot better than him.

He was decent with Leeds for a while and also with Preston. He needs regular game time and a decent supply. I could actually see himself and McGeady being a decent combination. Seems to like playing off a big man up front as well.

A guy who isn’t good enough for Fulham isn’t good enough for Celtic. Surprised he didn’t make more of an impact with them with his confidence being sky high and everything but he didn’t look anything special at all.

It could be a case Fulham isn’t good enough for Healy. I mean he has a great squad of players around him at Norn Iron.

in todays indo that chelsea are looking to sign ibraminovic…i honestly dont know what to make of him some days he is unstoppable but more often than not he looks lazy and couldnt give a fuck…they are also looking at inters teenage striker balotelli(who is supposed to be the business)

Really like Modric as a player so I’d be a bit disappointed with him if he joined Newcastle. Hate the fact that they’ve 20m to waste on ruining a promising career but that’s football these days.

Wise confident of breaking his duck with Modric
Louise Taylor The Guardian,
Friday April 25 2008

Luka Modric appears to be close to signing for Newcastle United after the Croatia and Dinamo Zagreb playmaker visited both St James’ Park and the club’s training ground earlier this week. Reports in Zagreb claim that Modric will cost Newcastle at least 20m - although Tyneside sources insist the fee is likely to be significantly smaller - and it is hoped that the 22-year-old can supply Kevin Keegan’s side with the midfield creativity they have so craved in recent months.

It seems that Dennis Wise, Newcastle’s executive director (football), has been the prime mover in a deal which looks poised to become the first to be completed since the former Leeds manager’s arrival in late January as head of a new European style scouting system.

Indeed Wise and Tony Jimenez, Newcastle’s recruitment supremo, were heavily involved in arranging not only Modric’s visit but a meeting that Zdravko Mamic, Dinamo’s vice-president, held with club representatives in the city’s Malmaison hotel this week. The agent Peter Harrison was also present.

With Modric, who is expected to play a key role for Slaven Bilic’s Croatia side during Euro 2008, generally deployed in a left-sided role, it appears likely that the unsettled Charles N’Zogbia will now be allowed to leave Newcastle.

Even so Modric’s move is far from complete and, while there could be some intense haggling over personal terms of a player expected to command a salary in the 60,000-80,000 a week bracket, the transfer may also be vulnerable to a late hijacking by one of the midfielder’s many admirers across England and Europe.

Modric has previously been linked with moves to Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City. Wise, though, is believed to be confident of pulling off what would be regarded as a major transfer-market coup.

luca modric is after signing for spurs according to ceefax…

I read that too only after watching Keegan on Setanta sports news talking away about how good a player he is. Bit of a coup for Spurs

it must have been the promise of playing in the uefa cup the year after next…who could resist this…why join barcelona when you could play with teamo tainio, paul robinson and tom huddlestone

I read in one of the papers today that Flamini has agreed to join Milan. It surprised me as, even though he is out of contract in the summer, I thought he was close to Wenger and was just waiting to get the best deal possible from Arsenal.

I see that Man United have been linked with Santa Cruz.

Typical Ferguson - rarely takes a punt on a player. Waits for someone else to sign them, wait until they become somewhat proven in England and then pays about double the price.

Lucky they have so much money…

Yeah typical Ferguson. In recent times the siging of Ronaldo, Evra, Anderson and to a lesser extent Nani proves your point.

What about Carrick, Ferdinand, Van der Saar, Tevez and their courting of Berbatov?

Im not saying he doesn’t buy players that are proven in England. But he is certainly not adverse to buying players from elsewhere. Van Nistlerooy is another one that just sprang to mind.

I never said he was adverse to buying players from elsewhere but you can’t argue with the list I gave either…

vidic you could put in there as well…but he has missed the boat on a good few players as he wasnt willing to pony up the cash…ronaldino robben torres etc…