Uk Affairs - Sterling is taking a Pounding

Apparently as it wasn’t an official budget they didn’t need to go through any of the normal checks and balances that would happen usually

There are no checks and balances, they can do what they want. What they avoided was a mandatory OBR report on the financial implications.

There’ll be plenty of checks and balances when the lads from the IMF move into number 11 Christmas week

Yeah. I’ve been reckoning it’ll end up with the IMF since brexit tbh.

1 Like

Can some financial gurus give an indication on when sterling will be close to its weakest? I’d like to stockpile a whole heap of it then, and have it ready for my cross border purchasing.

There in a hole flatty from what I can see
One shitty fta with Australia has been signed since Brexit. The yanks have told them to fuck off and thats just not a Biden thing either
There are plenty of Irish Americans on the Republican side with the same view. Pulled out of the European fta. Commonwealth will be cut in half. They’re fucked . The only possible positive from yesterdays budget is that the normal Joe Soaps over there will finally wake up from his slumber and realise whats going on. If Starmer gets back in , he should fucking crawl.up to UVL and beg for reentry to the EU

1 Like

Starmer is vehemently pro EU. Always has been. This I know for a fact.

1 Like

Yeah but would he have the balls to canvass under the policy of taking them back in thus not having to have another referendum. You guys really need a pr voting system over there. It would sort a lot of shit out

1 Like

@BruidheanChaorthainn @flattythehurdler

I’ve a few hundred pound in Sterling that i brought home from Cheltenham a few years back. I see this morning they are saying the old paper money will cease to be legal tender soon. What are my options with it? I dont really want to have to convert it back to euro.

thank you for the reminder

cash money will always be legal tender in the 06

1 Like

The Big Lie still dominates British politics and the Big Lie perpetuates because a nihilistic right wing press hell bent of Darwinian “libertarianism” which benefits the super rich have successfully created a nihilistic culture war around the Big Lie which has sucked in much of the nationalistic white English working class. The remnants of the Corbynite faction who are now desperate to see Labour fail because they are angry they no longer control the party are happy to support that Big Lie from the other side of the spectrum.

Only when it is obvious that fighting against the Big Lie would be an election winner will Labour move.

Britain will have to let the Big Lie of Brexit eat it and spit it out before it can move forward. The disaster of the Big Lie has to play out. Britain can’t be talked out of it before the disaster happens. This is the tragedy.

It would. I think they’ll slide back into the single market and let the next generation sort out EU membership tbh. I’m not sure Liz is anti EU, but I doubt she will be around long.
Starmer has to stay quiet about the EU or he just throws ammunition to the Tories who will accuse him through every MSM source of being anti-democratic. I genuinely hope the ERG die roaring.

She’s pro Eu. My mate in the BBC regularly interviewed her and spoke to her around the referendum. Last week he described her as “violently Remain” and said some of her comments in private about pro leave were astonishing especially given how’s she’s flipped.

1 Like

Saying Liz Truss is pro-EU is like saying Vladimir Putin is pro-Ukraine joining NATO because he once expressed the view that Ukraine joining NATO was a matter entirely for Ukraine and NATO themselves and that Russia had no say in the matter. Which he did.

Or that Viktor Orban is anti-Russia because in 1989 he gave a speech demanding that the Soviet Union leave Hungary. Which he did.

Truss doesn’t believe in anything other than what will give her power. Her route to power was by appealing to the hard Brexiteers. Her route to remaining in power is by giving the hard Brexiteers what they want. Thus she is anti-EU.

What she “believes”, ie. nothing, doesn’t even come into it.

3 Likes

That’s the thing about Lizzy. You wouldn’t know what she’s thinking. It’s clear the only chance she has of clinging to power at the next GE is to somehow improve the economy. The only way she can do this imo is to rejoin the single market. Like you say, she has no convictions (and little obvious intelligence), so she may turn on this as well. I can’t see it, but you’d never know with that cretin.

The main thing to think about with Truss is: who are her paymasters? They are the hard Brexiteers and the economic Darwinian “libertarian” types, the IEA etc. The people who own the Tory media. She will do what they want.

The Tory media will continually attempt to shift the narrative away from a failing economy to “implementing the will of the people” (“we voted for unicorns!”) ie. they’ll continue to try and frame reality as a hard right culture war. The hard right right culture war is about constructing a choreographed fake reality so that people vote on these choreographed fake issues and that real bread and butter issues become irrelevant. That’s what Brexit was - people voted based on bullshit - a choreographed fantasy, a nonsense.

But if Truss gets to the next election as leader she will have done very well. The choreographed fake world of the culture wars depends on having a leader who is capable of whipping up cult like loyalty. Truss is such an unimpressive figure on every level that it’s almost impossible to think she can do what Johnson or Trump do.

She’ll likely be ditched quicksmart because her poll ratings will be disastrous, and Johnson will likely be brought back before the next election

The brexit mob were pushing on an open door.

Should have brought it down to Listowel, bet in Sterling, paid in Sterling