UK general election 2019 - corbinned

No one has said that. You are deliberately misdirecting now because you are losing the argument. How very Trumpian

Oh right, plausible deniability now

Did you say Trump, I think you did

Hard to argue with that alright. I’ll let you at it mate.

I don’t think so. The US system is good for those who can afford it but is too expensive for users and moreover unfair on society at large who cannot access it. There are some dreadful corporatist interests involved and some vile debt collecting agencies profiting off misery. There are of course some everyday good things about it though versus other systems, like everything else.

Holding the NHS up as untouchable is bizarre in my view. That does not mean you have to privatize it, but there is idea out there that it should be untouchable.

2 Likes

You have reams of people working in it that say it isn’t fit for purpose

Absolutely untrue, if you want to see a shitshow head over to the Regional this weekend. From what I hear the NHS is rapidly heading in the same direction as the HSE.

There are 325 million people in the US. 53 million over 65 are covered by Medicare which is universally popular. Another 90 million on no income/low income are on Medicaid and other governnment plans. Of the remaining 182 million, 155 million are on employer subsidized plans and 27 million are uninsured. The latter group are the only ones politicians seem concerned about.

Health Care costs are astronomical in the US. There are a variety of reasons for this, the demand for the highest quality care, Americans denial of something called death, Americans propensity for litigation (every doctor, nurse, hospital has to carry massive insurance because they will be sued). However, the quality of health care is excellent. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people who can afford it being asked to pay towards health care, es[ecially given the high quality they demand. A lot of younger working people refuse to buy health insurance because it isn’t a priority for them, and their belief in their own invincibility.

Generic drugs (50% of prescriptions) are cheaper than in Canada so would assume cheaper than the UK. Brand name drug prices are outrageous, the reason given by the pharma companies is that they have to recoup their development costs in the US, as prices are fixed internationally (US consumers are paying for the subsidies consumers outside the US get).

The simple solution to US health care is expand Medicaid to more lower income people (raise the threshold) and cover people who have medical costs they can’t afford, such as medical emergencies.

It’s the state religion.

It’s a record wet November and sid’s strawmanning had reached a record high-water mark but the Labane came swimming in to save him. It’s a bit like Hunter S. Thompson saying that Richard Nix
on never let him down.

Health care is too expensive for most people in the US but that’s fair enough.

1 Like

Maybe if the obese cunts cut back on their eating by 50% and bought health insurance with the savings that would alleviate the problem?

1 Like

Yes, that’s hardly surprising after decades of Tory ideology

A poll out has the Torys miles ahead. 35 seat majority

Multilevel regression and poststratification :rofl: Sounds like Boris came up with that one himself :joy:

Strangely enough, I don’t think this MRP poll is that great for the Tories

YouGov are working off the premise of a big Tory lead nationally

To get only 359 seats off working off a 12 point lead is not that much

Other polls are showing narrowing leads, a couple of them have it at 7

Two weeks plus still to go as well so complacency and events could still set in

The prediction of a big Tory majority could well focus minds

Funny nobody here mentioned this up to now

One of the things that’s become very apparent during this election is how white the UK news media is

They don’t given one fuck about racism

It doesn’t affect them, you see, and if it doesn’t affect the UK press, it doesn’t exist, or something

What happened the BBC?

Deary me

This Hancock eejit was actually trying to argue that nurses not leaving the NHS counted as an increase

The utterly gorgeous Susanna Reid was laughing at him

The Red Wall is being breached. The Brexit Party are gone. Lib Dem’s are done. It’s a two horse race.

Should I await the BBC running with the story that while he was editor of the Spectator, Boris Johnson continually commissioned a virulent anti-Semite to write virulently anti-Semitic articles?

Nah, didn’t think so.

Johnson edited The Spectator from 1999 to 2005. Throughout this time, and indeed up to the present day, the magazine employed the notoriously racist and anti-Semitic commentator Taki Theodoracopulos, better known as just “Taki”. At the time Johnson took over, Taki was already known for anti-Semitic and pro-nazi attitudes, such as a 1997 piece in defence of the revisionist historian Ernst Nolte, first published in the Spectator and later republished by a number of Holocaust denial outfits, which argued that “so much opprobrium has come to be attached to almost every aspect of the German past that it is impossible to say anything good about it without being condemned as a Nazi sympathizer. Nonetheless, it is hard not to conclude that the Germany of the past was vastly superior to [that of today]… the constant harping on about the Germans seems to be motivated by profit.” Another column, also from 1997, complained that “The younger generation of Jews who control [Hollywood] now think that there’s more money to be made by dumbing down.”

If he wanted to, if he felt that those sorts of comments were unacceptable, Johnson could have fired Taki immediately after taking over The Spectator, but he chose not to. There is absolutely no question that Johnson was aware of Taki’s bigoted attitudes, as in a friendly interview from 1999, he was asked about Taki’s racism and admitted “you’re right, on the whole, I’m not mad for that stuff.” Despite being “not mad for” such overt racism, he continued to employ Taki throughout his time at The Spectator.

In 2001, in the middle of Johnson’s time as Spectator editor, Taki wrote an anti-Semitic column so extreme that it prompted Conrad Black, owner of The Spectator and not someone who could be accused of an unfair bias against the publication, to complain that “In both its venomous character and its unfathomable absurdity, this farrago of lies is almost worthy of Goebbels or the authors of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion… [Taki] presents the universal Jewish ethos as brutish, vulgar, grasping and cunningly wicked.” Some people, on being publicly warned by their boss that they were publishing anti-Semitic material reminscent of Goebbels, might wish to change course, but Boris Johnson chose to continue publishing Taki’s columns after this incident.

Since his time as an employee of Boris Johnson, Taki has continued to express the same anti-Semitic attitudes over and over again, writing that “The Jewish lobby in America has stifled debate” and that “rich American Jews… encourage unacceptable and brutal behaviour against innocents”, penning a defence of Greece’s neo-nazi Golden Dawn party, and more recently writing a column about “the heroism of the German soldiers” fighting in WWII that was originally titled “In Praise of the Wehrmacht.”

Taki is writing there for about forty years. He is just a rich twat.

It’s a full time job keeping on top of the reporting of anti-semitism in UK politics. I see there was another election candidate removed in Scotland today that you haven’t even managed to get around to reporting, you are so overwhelmed by the volume of cases.