University Challenge

I’m calling Gauis from Cambridge to win this series.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1104019, member: 183”][SIZE=3]Lovely vignette on tonight’s show.

“Ordnance Survey Explorer maps have a scale to 1 to 25,000. How many kilometres on the ground would be represented by 5 centimetres on the map?”[/SIZE]

(long pause without an answer)

Trinity Walker: 2.5?

Paxman doesn’t respond.

Durham Morgan-Thomas: “2?”

"Noooo, it’s one and a quarter…"

“10 points for this…I’m not going walking with either of you…”

The audience laughs snottily. Sort of how one might laugh at a terse, shit attempt at humour in the letters section of the Irish Times. Ha[SIZE=3]ww de haww hawww.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Whatever about the joke, that seems a very easy question for that standard of quiz. I watch this the odd time, and generally know very few of the answers… I thought those smart bastards would get something like that very easily.

Magdelan make the final with a typically excellent big stage performance. A very well balanced team, the Yank is excellent and the captain is a true leader.

I still can’t see them beating Gonville and Gaius however.

[QUOTE=“Special Olympiakos, post: 1116094, member: 366”]Magdelan make the final with a typically excellent big stage performance. A very well balanced team, the Yank is excellent and the captain is a true leader.

I still can’t see them beating Gonville and Gaius however.[/QUOTE]

Last night’s questions were real ball-breakers. I only got 11 :frowning:

I got two that Binnie and the yank didn’t know which I was chuffed with. The standard always goes up in the semi and thats where Magdalen’s classical knowledge kicks in.

Favourites Gonville and Keys notched a workmanlike 170 to 75 win over Durham in tonight’s second semi-final.

They now take on Maudlin College in a classic Oxbridge clash in next Monday’s final.

My boys would want to improve if they are to run the series next week, last nights showing will not beat Magdalen who have improved since we beat them and unquestionably have the pedigree.
Martinelli played well last night but he was the only one.

The eagerly awaited 2015 final between Maudlin and Gonville and Keys is just about to start.

10 points for me on the picture round.

Ted Heath gives me my third starter for 10.

Gonville and Keys with the edge in a ding dong battle.

Shocking pronunciation of “Burren” by Paxman.

Revenge for Cambridge for Saturday’s wipeout by the Thames as Keys power to a 255-105 victory.

Loveday and his aran sweater the star turn.

Will Self presenting the trophy.

Delighted with my five starters for 10 and correct answering of “Karst” about limestone landscapes. Did well on the Rococo round too.

The cream came to the top, loveday had a quiet semi but he’s been their outstanding turn all series. They were my series winners from second round.
Whatever about the Boorn even more shocking was taylor from Ballymenas failure to know it was Clare until he heard it was south of Galway.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1123077, member: 183”]Revenge for Cambridge for Saturday’s wipeout by the Thames as Keys power to a 255-105 victory.

Loveday and his aran sweater the star turn.

Will Self presenting the trophy.

Delighted with my five starters for 10 and correct answering of “Karst” about limestone landscapes. Did well on the Rococo round too.[/QUOTE]

They were a bit like Clare the year they won the hurling. Loveday in the Tony Kelly role. Where did this Keys scutter come from? Caius innit’

Back again.

1 Like

Peterhouse Woods has a rather shy, bookish charm about her.

Her eyebrows and eyelashes give her a vaguely sinister look.

Powell a classic example of the upper class Oxbridge freak that makes University Challenge unique.

2 Likes

Powell is hilarious.

Superb. Those type of lads are often very annoying, but he had a certain charm

He actually did a two handed wave goodbye. Fucking legend!