Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Sorry mate, I dont follow?

Iā€™d have no interest in them as an adult, but as a kid, they were a huge deal. For us, we got a bar of chocolate (a Marathon/Snickers for me and a Bounty for my sister) after mass on Sundays that we were allowed to eat Sunday afternoons and wouldnā€™t really have anything else sweet during the week. So, this random Tuesday during lent when you could have something exotic seemed a big deal.

3 Likes

:eek:

I havenā€™t had a proper pancake in 20 years but Iā€™ll never forget them.

Sorry, meant to say just before lent!

1 Like

I donā€™t particularly care for pancakes and didnā€™t really like them as a child. They were a novelty alright, a bit like turkey at Christmas, but both are so common foodstuffs nowadays that any sense of occasion is somewhat diminished.

1 Like

Britain is one of the least racist countries in Europe, possibly the least racist.

Is that because its full to the neck of foreigners?

How do you explain overtly racist politicians and policies in that case?

Mostly Rupert Murdoch and the ā€œlibertarianā€ idea that the worth of an opinion can only be measured by the amount of engagement it generates.

1 Like

Richard Boyd Barrett is a hero and deserves friend of the forum status and reelection for life based on his dogged pursuit of justice from the FAI for the ballybrack seagulls.

I remember a BBC news report on immigration from about ten years ago that always stayed with me. The government had stated itā€™s aim to reduce immigration, the report went through the categories of immigrants, the third category was university students. While they talked about this category they showed footage from college canteens which zoomed in on all the black and brown people.

Anyway I completely disagree with you, Britain is racist enough to for itā€™s politics to include overt racism on a regular basis and which finds a lot of support.

1 Like

Every country in Europe is racist to a greater or lesser degree, this one included.

Overt racism will find a market anywhere if it has a vulture media which is minded to push it. Including here. Our market isnā€™t big enough to have Murdoch bothering us to a major extent.

Paul Mason said that in any country, at least 10% of the people have fascist proclivities. Iā€™d wager itā€™s a lot more than that.

For all its faults, Britain is a much less threatening place in general to ethnic minorities than most other European countries.

Iā€™d much rather be a person of an ethnic minority in Britain than in France, Spain, Italy, Belgium or any eastern European country, and increasingly Sweden. And to be honest, Ireland.

1 Like

Much of that post is true but I still donā€™t agree with your initial proposition.

Ok. Thatā€™s one metric. Theyā€™ve also introduced provisions to shop asylum seekers off to Rwanda.

They have indeed, but then again I never said Britain was free of racism or didnā€™t have a racist government. Most governments throughout Europe are racist to a greater or lesser extent in their immigration policies.

To be honest, given the damage Murdoch and all the other disinformation goons have done to American society, itā€™s a credit to Britain that it still remains a by and large liberal and welcoming society given it has come under the same sort of information warfare as America has done.

1 Like

On cue, hereā€™s another example of racism on behalf of the UK state.

Barry Keoghan is a bang average actor.

1 Like

The 2 most important governmental figures in deciding your childrenā€™s experience in growing up in Ireland donā€™t have kids. Not even imaginary kids.

Thatā€™s not great.

3 Likes

Leo and Roderick? We have an amount of non-traditional people in government for a supposedly uber-catholic patriarchal society