Unpopular opinions or views you hold

It was the biggest one ever in Limerick Iā€™d say.

It was for Donnie lane who was an absolute gentleman. He was from abbeyfeale originally. He started working for my dad when he was doing the ag course in Pallas. He started working for Paul Purtill and never left the area. A really nice man sadly missed.

2 Likes

This would be wildly unpopular opinion but a man told me once that those kind of charity events were a drain on the community and there was rarely anything to show for it. The person usually has a terminal disease and the money is swallowed up by medical costs and dubious treatments in America. He reckoned community events where there was a legacy left afterwards like a community center, pitch etc were far more worthy causes.

2 Likes

Ya you could be right but in fairness I think the money raised was mainly as fund for his son.

Iā€™m more mid 50ā€™s

1 Like

He was a sound auld divil,he used to cut the hedges down here with the big Zetor.I walked up from Slas that morning and it was like the ploughing championships with the field full of tractors and all the lorryā€™s backed up down to the bog road.

1 Like

Mohill GAA are constantly going to the community looking for money. They employed a manager who they had to sack and then paid off and went back to the community looking for money again. A very bad feeling towards them in the community as a result - not the players, the admin.

1 Like

And rightly so. Some neck to go to the community lookin for money to pay a manager.

I presume there are people lining up to replace the Club Exec after this.

No - they just complain about it but ultimately pay up.

Nobody wants to do the job but everyone wants to cut the back off the lads doing the job.

A tale as old as time.

Thereā€™s probably something in that in the case of terminal illness. However there is a success example locally where a 4 year old kid needed to travel to the US for an operation to help the child walk proved hugely beneficial. The HSE would perform the procedure when the child was 12, in which time the kid had missed out on its childhood.

4 Likes

Agreed. And DJ Carey speaks very highly of the charity work done for him by the community. He was in an awful spot til people helped out.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a different scenario. To be fair he was talking about specific fundraisers for facilties that will be there for years, as opposed to just generic club fundraising for day to day activities.

I also donā€™t understand how youā€™d have to pay off a club manager? He hardly had a contract? Iā€™m sure if the club suggested they get advice on how to treat the payment from Revenue he wouldnā€™t be long fuckin off.

1 Like

I imagine he was due a few bob from previous weeks and they had to pay it up when they gave him the heave ho.

I donā€™t know the full details but thatā€™s the story I heard.

Then of course they brought in a local lad to take over and gave him nothing.

Once you get him a gilet, polo shirt, shorts, tracksuit bottoms and a half zip its all heā€™ll want.

Fuck Mohill is all Iā€™ll say

2 Likes

Liverpool should cash-in on Mo Salah if the Saudis come looking.

5 Likes

Id imagine thatā€™s a very popular opinion.

Possibly. I think theyā€™ve the best of him got, his value will only go down, and Klopp, much as I loathe him and the murderous institution he fronts, would likely do wonders with the money

Itā€™s much too late now to do anything with the money.

Salahā€™s goal scoring record speaks for itself. Heā€™s likely to score 20 - 25 minimum again this season.