Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Young people have never had it so hard :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

An opinion that becomes more popular by the day and will come to be accepted as a self-evident truth before too long.

This is supposed to be very good. Itā€™s from 1985. Fuck knows how much worse it is in 2024.

Adam Curtisā€™s films were at their best when they examined the cult of the self and the mass unhappiness pervading western societies and the reasons for it.

They had it much worse back in the day when lads didnā€™t go to school beyond the age of 12 and would usually be only able to acquire manual labour jobs for the rest of their life. Far more poverty back then too. They were happier, simpler times though by all accounts. Oh and corporal punishment was very much a thing.

Ok Boomer.

I donā€™t agree. Youā€™d want to see how young people were treated in my day.

6 Likes

100% agree with this.

Young people have never had it so good.

3 Likes

Older generation think younger generation have it easy. Shocking.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a couple of days. A mix of wfh and office is ideal.

Iā€™m a little younger than you, approaching 50 and I had far from a privileged childhood, but Iā€™d take it any day over the shit that kids nowadays have to deal with. It goes without saying that the kids who were sent down the pit had it worse.

1 Like

3 Likes

I think what Iā€™ve said is true on every objective analysis

2 Likes

If youā€™re not happy inside you wont find joy outside.

Tisnt technologies fault.

I presume thatā€™s a pisstake

What exactly do kids have to struggle with?

It has to beā€¦ Young people today have everythingā€¦ but resilience it seems. Life has never been easier for young peopleā€¦ There isnā€™t even metallers around now to give em a kicking.

3 Likes

An old coach of mine told me the best thing heā€™ll teach us is resilience, and if thatā€™s all we learn heā€™ll have done plenty. He was right, on and off the field.

Not too high, not too low.

The far right

In some ways this is true, but the direction of travel is the most important thing. In western societies, the years 1945 to 2001 were marked by an ever present feeling that things were getting better or would get better. There was an idea of a social contract that was meaningful, even if it didnā€™t always deliver to the extent promised. There was a feeling that there was a long arc of history that bent towards justice. That has been steadily eaten away since September 11th, 2001.

Now we have a sense that the long arc of history bends towards tyranny, that the years 1945-2001 were an aberration, that war, not peace is the default setting of humanity. Ireland might be swimming against that, but then again it might not.

What does prevail now is a sense that things are getting worse, that things are falling apart, and that people are powerless to do anything about it. In terms of wealth inequality, in terms of housing, in terms of climate change, in terms of a social contract. In this country in terms of our seeming inability to deliver meaningful infrastructure. In the world, in terms of war. Positive change now seems impossible. Political systems and bad politics seem to absorb all opposition and nullify it. These political systems seem all out of ideas.

There isnā€™t even much meaningful culture now. Everything is throwaway. Our information landscape incentivises useless rubbish, lies and fraud and propaganda and stupidity. It promotes isolation and loneliness and a shallow life. Fragmentation dominates. You need some sort of meaningful communality. The INTERNET is helping to destroy real communality in favour of fake and shallow communality which doesnā€™t satisfy.

1 Like

Do you ever think some kids mightnā€™t have everything? Fellas on here always look through the prism of their lives.

A lot of people around the world have nothing.