Unpopular opinions or views you hold

A lot of this is about comparisons with the alternatives.

In association football the viewer compares Maloney to George Hamilton, and this comparison is a negative one for Maloney.

The comparisons in GAA are Ger Canning and Marty Morrissey.

Marty Morrissey does not have a big match voice. His voice will always be that of a commentator on Kilkenny v Antrim in the curtain raiser of a Ye Olde All-Ireland hurling semi-final double header, commentating as if heā€™s a concerned parent trying to encourage Antrim. ā€œOlcan McFettridge showing they love their hurling in the Glens of Antrim!ā€ ā€œOh look at that for skill by Aidan McCarry, they call him Beaver!ā€ ā€œCiaran Barr, oh look at that for strength! Oh he completely mishits it! What a shame for Antrim!ā€

Ger Canning has a better big match voice than Morrissey, but heā€™s Ger Canning.

Maloneyā€™s GAA commentaries are much more frantic than his association football commentaries and I think that frantic style suits him better. Also my primary memories of him doing GAA commentaries tend to be epic All-Ireland semi-finals, usually the football ones involving Dublin, in front of a full Croke Park. He did the Magic Mulligan goal too and the 2018 Cork v Limerick hurling semi-final.

15 Likes

Exactly. Marty is ideal for the camogie All Ireland final commentary for the same reasons you mention. Talking about incredible skills & unstoppable rockets as duffed shots dribble past a hapless keeper. Frantic is a good description of Maloneyā€™s GAA commentary style. You sense he doesnā€™t necessarily know the ins & outs of the game but it doesnā€™t matter versus the competition.

11 Likes

I like maloney . I think he does know the game . IIRC he played with Vincents in his youth

He was a Dublin minor footballer too

Was he ? Never knew and Vincents defo his club ?

Yeah around 89/90

1 Like

I stand corrected.

This is coming true. All the research has shown that the men would break through. I hope itā€™s fucking wrong

Maloney doesnā€™t really know hurling and the doubt comes out in his voice at times, heā€™ll say something and thereā€™ll be a quiet second as he waits to see does it pass muster.

But heā€™s good for football, heā€™s clearly a biased Dublin fan but thatā€™s no harm as it adds to his excitement. And is far better than Martys ā€œI just happened to be in the home village of named Clare panel member last week and they (who?) tell me heā€™s really up for this gameā€ shtick

1 Like

It is coming home

Sounds like your wife did it mate?

Harry Kane is a thoroughly decent skin.

4 Likes

Are you a caherline man or something?

1 Like

He has a funny nose and two left feet but he has the knack to score.

I was just watching the press conference that himself and Southgate were subjected to by the deluded British media. Theyā€™d have been absolutely justified in telling them to go fuck themselves with balls of their own shite.

1 Like

I donā€™t mind Darragh Moloney as a commentator

He looks like exactly what youā€™d imagine his Connemara ancestors look/sound like.

Footin turf would be far to fine a job for him, you certainly wouldnā€™t be caught asking him to shaft a spade.
A right sort. But useless.

The paper tickets for boarding are superior to everyone fumbling their phones trying to get the ticket up.

Itā€™s also safer if you lose your phone or it dies.

8 Likes

cc @PhattPike

3 Likes