Unpopular opinions or views you hold

The ‘Diddy cup’ of the acting circuit.

Ah, a Golden Globe is a big deal…I know they split the acting and have a second category for comedy but it’s still hard to win one.

1 Like

At least one of the league cup and the FA cup should be scrapped. Absolutely no need for two domestic cups in England

2 Likes

On the contrary, the winners of each should be awarded the two Champions League places currently given out to fourth and fifth in the Premier League.

And the Champions League should move to two leg straight knockout and be called something like the European Cup.

3 Likes

Fifth in the prem doesn’t have a place currently. I’d agree with giving a Champions league berth to the FA Cup winners and make it worth something again.

I’d nearly turn the league cup into a championship and below cup

1 Like

The prestigious Bristol Street Motors Trophy is already in place for clubs from League One down

That could be merged with the league cup

The league cup for teams who don’t qualify for Europe would be ideal

2 Likes

I’d keep prem teams out of it.

And I’d give the losing FA cup finalist the champions league place, rather than giving the league an extra one.

Northern Ireland club football lost a lot when it did away with its assortment of cup competitions, the finals of which would each have highlights on UTV at 10:40pm on a Tuesday night and be presented by Adrian Logan or Mark Robson standing pitch side at Windsor Park or The Oval, and commentated on by Jackie Fullerton. You’d have a different Cup Final in each of October/November/December/January/February, and possible replays.

There was:
The Budweiser Ulster Cup
The TNT Gold Cup
The Cawoods County Antrim Shield
The League Cup
The Mid-Ulster Cup
The City Cup

These competitions should be revived and the winners of each get Champions League places.

Other countries need to learn from the mistakes of Northern Irish club football.

2 Likes

The FA Cup should be for teams who finish in the top division and most of the Championship. The League Cup should be for the remainder of the football league as some of the pairings for the FA Cup have no value at the moment.

Also there should be preliminary quarter finals.

I can’t comment on NI football as I didn’t watch it then nor I don’t watch it now.

I don’t get the whole “prestigious league cup” argument though. I grew up a Man U fan and every year, without fail, you’d see a team of Jonathan Greening and Ronnie Wallwork and Erik Nevland and Co playing in the league cup.

1 Like

Spurs v Arsenal in the 1987 Littlewoods Cup semi-finals (there were three games) were some of my formative football memories, though it’s possible I experienced at least two of them by hearing about them the following morning. My oul’ fella liked Arsenal at the time because they had Niall Quinn and David O’Leary. Epic games.

Football was so much better when you could have lads like Ian Allinson and Martin Hayes winging it and succeeding.

I’d have to check but I think Spurs played Arsenal five times that season and every game was won by the away team.

Mate, don’t let that put you off, TFK is built on lads arguing about stuff they know fuck all about

16 Likes

Agreed on the European cup. Have a nations league type champions league with teams from all top leagues and call it a super league played midweek. In parallel have a straight 2 legs knockout European cup (with the current trophy) for domestic league winners only. 53 teams (i think) into 1 pot open draw.

I think it could work

Hayes fiddled the system alright.

Celtic couldn’t get a tune out him.

You left out the big one.

Jamie Redknapp was a decent player and is a decent pundit.

Mr Brightside is an absolute banger
A few minutes of absolute feelgood pop music

4 Likes