US Politics II To Trump or not to Trump

It’s a really bad idea for a juror to go public after a trial, especially a high profile one. But everyone needs their 15 minutes. I don’t think there will be a retrial but it’s certainly helps Chauvin’s appeal.

Plea bargain surely on the minds of his legal team now.

Plea for a lighter sentence most likely, they offered a third degree murder plea before the trial and the prosecution rejected it.

It says a lot about the man that he plead innocent and is now appealing his conviction.

Nobody pleads innocent, you plead guilty or not guilty at the beginning of a trial. He was willing to plead guilty to third degree murder but the DOJ rejected it. Everyone convicted has the right to appeal.

1 Like

Indeed. It says a lot about the man.

Are you saying he shouldn’t appeal? That would be a very odd thing to do for anyone convicted.

Many people admit their crimes, express remorse, and accept their punishment.

One would have thought that reflecting on the fact he committed a murder while doing his job, wearing a police uniform, the response, and even watching the evidence again, may have given him pause to consider his actions.

But he maintained he was innocent, and now he’s appealing.

It says a lot about the man.

You need to get out in the real world more

2 Likes

You wouldn’t expect a police officer that’s committed a murder on front of the whole world to possibly realise it and accept his punishment?

Go down the courts for a bit of an eye-opener sometime. You’d be amazed what guilty people will chance their arm at.

I’ll go back to my original point, which is quite simple, it says a lot about the man.

I doubt he feels remorse, doesn’t seem the type.

He was willing to plead guilty to third degree murder, which would suggest he did not maintain he was innocent. The state rejected that and charged him with second and third degree murder and he was convicted of both (and manslaughter). He has the right to appeal, like anyone else convicted. I would imagine the goal here is to get the second degree conviction overturned on appeal and try and get the sentence reduced, as there is potentially a big difference between the likely sentence for second and third.

How often have you seen someone plead not guilty and then not appeal a guilty conviction? It’s a matter of course, as predictable as night follows day, no matter how fucking obvious the guilt may have been. FFS, you’re in Lala land.

It’s the justice system, not a beauty pageant

No, I’d expect him to appeal like everyone else does.

Look at Graham Dwyer and Joe O’Reilly for examples closer to home

Maybe La Eme and the Aryan Brotherhood will mind him on the inside if he does the honorable thing

That was entirely my point. We got there in the end.

Just on this, have ye met any convicted murderers? I have.