US Politics II To Trump or not to Trump

Complete nonsense. Bagram is two hours from Kabul, it’s in the middle of nowhere. The humanitarian catastrophe there would have been even worse.

Trump was the guy who made the decision to pull out and give the Taliban everything they wanted.

You’re now saying that the way to ensure a peaceful withdrawal was by extending war. That’s cuckoo.

You have consistently supported totalitarianism on this forum while I never have. You called for all of Islam to be banned, FFS sake!

You’re now denying that Trump made the decision to withdraw from Afghanistan and give the Taliban everything they wanted.

You’re literally denying reality.

Don’t tell me lads advocating and defending travel bans are calling others “anti-immigrant”

You couldn’t make it up.

Defending the same stuff they would hammer trump for

2 Likes

Ah yes, the “not letting Covid rip” is racist line.

You know they haven’t a leg to stand on when they wheel out that one.

Just dumb, Murdochesque tabloid idiocy.

Haitians being whipped, Indians being locked up at Dublin. All grand.

1 Like

but Trump

2 Likes

You’re the one “locking them up”. If you believe you’re locking them up, wouldn’t that make you the same as a Nazi prison guard?

“Just following orders”.

In your own words, that is. Not mine. :wink:

Requiring vaccination for US citizens if you want to work but giving refugees the option whether they want to be vaccinated or not.

1 Like

It’s actually the army. I just separate them. I’d expect you to be ignorant of the process though. Like a true leftie you love putting (usually poor) people through expensive hardship so you can feel a little better.

1 Like

Same as here. No asylum seekers get tested, vaccinated or sent to MHQ. The virus must obviously ignore them

So you are comparing yourself to a Nazi prison guard.

You say you’re “just following orders”.

Again, I’m not comparing you to such. You are.

Which is absolutely hilarious.

One poster mentioned the “death of democracy” in the US. Democracy in the US isn’t dead yet, but it is very much under threat from the party of QAnon.

Unless Democrats pass comprehensive federal voting rights legislation - and at the moment it’s the DINOs Manchin and Sinema who are preventing it, it will likely die, because it’s been obvious for a loooong time that the Republicans are all in on full Putin style fascism.

1. I’ve devoted much of my career to understanding authoritarianism and the breakdown of democracy. And I’m growing increasingly pessimistic about the prospects for American democracy, because of one simple question: what could slow down the GOP march toward authoritarianism?

2. I’ve thought a lot about this and I can come up with hundreds of reasons why the increasing authoritarian extremism in the Republican party/base is not just self-sustaining, but likely to accelerate. Let’s start with just a few key reasons for this ratcheting extremism here:

3. Primaries: Republicans who try to govern by consensus, compromise, or democratic principles rather than relentlessly kowtowing to autocratic Trumpian dogma now end up with primary challengers. Everyone knows this in the GOP, so even moderates become more extreme over time.

4. Gerrymandering: this is bad and getting worse. Most districts are uncompetitive, leading to electoral landslides, so the only way for a Republican to lose is to provoke a primary challenger. That means that the rational strategy is to pander to the authoritarian extremists.

5. (Social) Media breakout power. Two/three decades ago, someone like MTG would have been expelled from the GOP immediately. Now, she’s a Republican breakout star on TV and on social media even though she’s a first term Congresswoman. Authoritarianism now comes with star power.

6. The point is this: there are huge pressures pushing Republicans toward embracing authoritarian extremism. And here’s the problem: there are no countervailing forces. There’s nothing that rewards being a sober moderate who believes in democracy and tries to govern by consensus.

7. In fact, the people who try to defend democracy within the GOP become pariahs. Their careers die. So what happens? Even the moderates at heart start acting like zealots because it’s the only way to maintain power and stay in good stead in the Republican party.

8. Many thought Jan. 6 would be the breaking point. But it wasn’t. In fact, the authoritarian attempts to overturn the election have, if anything, become more mainstream, more of a litmus test for future GOP candidates. “Do you believe Trump won?” is an authoritarian loyalty test

9. Here’s the bottom line: nobody has come up with a convincing explanation for how this authoritarian trend reverses itself. That’s why, as someone who studies these dynamics for a living, I’m worried that the GOP is becoming irreversibly authoritarian. (Sorry to be depressing)

I don’t think you know what I or Nazi prison guards do/did.

You’re just bearing out my point now with your own comparison.

It is very, very funny.

You should probably step from the keyboard at this stage because you’re just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

I didn’t compare them things at all, and never mentioned the words “Nazi” “prison” or “guard”

I will step away though. Don’t want to get doxxed

1 Like

Just for the sake of argument, if we could accept (even temporarily) that trump was the worst president ever, could we agree that Joe is the second worst?

1 Like

Its too early to judge Joe, the next two years are crucial.

GWB was worse than Trump

The way you’re twisting in the wind here is tremenjus craic.

@maroonandwhite is the forum’s doxxer in chief (and none of his e-buddies have ever called him out on it) so if you stay away from him, you’ll be fine.

I try and do that myself because being doxxed twice on this forum - as I have been - January 2018 and June last year - was bad enough.

Although it goes with the territory when half the forum are frothing right wing loons and hypocrites, I suppose.