Vincent Hogan

I believe so yes. Wasn’t there an orchestrated attack on Ed Woodward’s house as well because he couldn’t convince the likes of Dybala to sign?

1 Like

Man U fans would appear to be the most racist as they had the most arrests for racist related crimes.

Not sure though whether it would be correct to say that Man U had the most arrests. You could be doing them down by making a statement like that. A Man U superfan expert like @BruidheanChaorthainn, @Mullach_Ide or @dodgy_keeper might be able to help you with your query.

Great to see the club taking action against racists.

If you’re Irish and head over to Liverpool, man United, Spurs, Arsenal etc, surely when you are in the pub before the game you must feel fair awkward and say to yourself what am I doing here? Obviously I am totally wrong considering the numbers who head over every week.

I’d encourage you to watch “Sunderland till I die” if you haven’t already mate. It gives the answer to what you said here. It means so much to so many.

Yeah but their from Sunderland. I can understand the passion if i was born in the locality.

Holy fuck that’s a clamping

Never came across many Micks at White Hart Lane when I was a regular there. The odd one you’d come across though would be made very welcome.

Most English clubs would have a very localised support. Man U and Liverpool would be the two exceptions. Woolwich to a lesser extent and also Glasgow Celtic in Scotland. They’re the clubs that the footix from the likes of Eire and Asia flock to.

Your Eire soccer fan is probably a bit different from the rest of soccer fans in Europe in that nearly all of them have no interest in supporting or sustaining a domestic soccer league.

Many at the Preston games ?

1 Like

Didn’t go to many Preston matches during my time living there. They’re savages in Lancashire and the North West of England and the warning was that you’d be risking life and limb going to Deepdale.

Preston had a huge influx of Irish emigrants in the 1970’s so the ones you would meet would
have been resident locally as opposed to the type of footix you’d get travelling across the Irish Sea to Anfield or Old Trafford.

Would there have been many Preston fans from Ireland full stop? They were a good team long long ago, so I’d guess any fans are dead and gone. I remember coming back from Manchester on a Dublin flight the night of a Man City game, and most of the people on it were Man City fans of a certain age, mainly lads who would have been getting into football back in the 70s. Twas the same with Leeds fans for a while too. A certain demographic.
I went along to Anfield for the craic years ago, and was in some pub near the ground where folk go for a beer and to pick up tickets. There were plenty of Scandinavians in there, and some reading The Sun. I was surprised nobody had pulled them on reading that paper of all ones.

0.0004 per cent of their match-going fanbase.

1 Like

My brother in law is a big Preston fan. Heads over a few times a year.

Support I wouldnt mind but i heard 2 mins of Hogan on the wireless. Any lad who fawns over this the way he did has to be a simpleton. If a group of lads want to head to the odd game over in the UK well fair play to them. If it is a life fulfilling event for any lad from here its a sad reflection of their lives.

4 Likes

GinmrpE

@tazdedub?
@Dubhub?

Preston North End had a cracking team back in 1888/89. The Invincibles were the inaugural winners of the Football League and did the double, winning the FA Cup. The season after Tom Finney retired, Preston were relegated from the top flight in 1960/61 (the year Spurs won the double) and they haven’t been back since.

I doubt there’s very many Preston fans on the island of Ireland. You could probably count them on your fingers. Plenty of Irish people that settled there probably supported them. Mark Lawrenson and Kevin Kilbane are from Preston and they’d have strong historical links back through the years with the likes of Frank O’Farrell and Alan Kelly Senior & Junior. Don O’Riordan was probably the best player at Preston when I lived there for a bit in the early 1980’s.

Huddersfied would be another city in the North of England, in Yorkshire with a big Irish emigrant population, from Galway in particular.

Irish people that settled in England probably would have supported teams in their local area. In the bigger cities, Man U and Woolwich would have attracted a lot of Irish support from the emigrant community. Man U like a lot of clubs in England would have had a decent smattering of Irish players down the years and there would have been a very Catholic ethos at the club when Matt Busby was at the helm. Busby was very devout, a daily going massgoer and priests and nuns were seemingly allowed into Old Trafford free of charge. I had a grand aunt who was a nun in Manchester, long since dead but was friendly with Busby’s wife from church circles. She had no interest in soccer but like just about every other priest or nun in the North West used to go to Old Trafford from time to time. Woolwich attracted a big Irish support in London in the 1970’s when David O’Leary, Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady all more or less came along at the same time together.

Everton historically would probably have been the club in England that had the most Irish players. On the Eire team that famously beat England on English soil in 1949, there were two Everton players, Peter Farrell and Peter Corr. Another Everton stalwart Tommy Eglinton missed out on the game through injury.

Liverpool would not have been viewed historically as a destination for Irish players. Not from Eire anyway. They would have had plenty of players from Northern Ireland over the years. I think Steve Heighway in the early 1970’s was the first Eire player to play for Liverpool, almost 80 years on from their foundation in 1892. Bill Shankly like Graeme Souness signing Maurice Johnston at Rangers wouldn’t have any truck with all that sectarian bigoted nonsense, a good footballer was a good footballer, whatever his religion or nationality. Once Heighway broke the mold for Liverpool in the 1970’s, they’ve had plenty of players from Eire ever since.

7 Likes

Have you not started your shift down the yacht club? I thought the place would be busy with members going for meals that you would be rushed off your feet serving them.

He cant hes fuming from the pasting he got from me, temperature and blood levels are through the roof.

He should self quarantine from fighting losing g battles for a while.

Settle now lads. A new day, a new week.