Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Not one for moral victories, but considering the low base we came from, you’d be happy enough with today’s performance. If we can get one or two more of the forwards in the game we might be hurling in December.

3 Likes

When it comes to defending both the Fives can be at sixes and sevens.

Clare have been a horrible banana skin for Waterford over the years.

The missed Paul Flynn long distance free to win the 1998 drawn Munster Final.

The Clare thuggery and roughing up of Waterford before the start of the 98 replay and then administering a hammering.

Waterford winning their first Munster in 39 years in 2002 only to lose to Clare in the All
Ireland semi final.

A heavy loss to Clare in the 2008 Munster Quarter Final which cost Justin McCarthy his job in Waterford.

2016 League Final.

Waterford horror seasons in 2018 and 2019 both kicked off with opening day round robin defeats to Clare. Maybe an opening day Waterford win could have changed the dynamic in either season.

Waterford really owe Clare one. Owe them a good few at this stage. Such is the vice like psychological grip that Clare have over them though, you’d really fear for Waterford on Saturday. 6 turnaround for Waterford from Munster final defeat yesterday is a big advantage for Clare as well.

1 Like

I’m going to bump this. Just because.

1 Like

That’s some turnover of players. I just had a look there at the match programme from the 2017 final. I think it was actually 7 - Stephen O’Keeffe, Tadhg de Burca, Kevin Moran, Jamie Barron, Kieran Bennett, Jake Dillon and Austin Gleeson.

Of the other 8 starters from 2017, Barry Coughlan, Philip Mahony and Brick Walsh have retired. Noel Connors was axed. Pauric Mahony out with a long term injury, Darragh & Shane Fives out more short term injuries and Shane Bennett has opted out.

Of the 5 subs that saw action in 2017 Final, Maurice Shanahan, Tommy Ryan and Brian O’Halloran are all gone as well. Patrick Curran came on as a sub as well yesterday and Colin Dunford is possibly still involved, but well down the pecking order.

Dunford was on the bench yesterday. If he has his confidence back he’d be a great addition

Conor Gleeson, one of the best hurlers in Ireland, then and now, was suspended. So it was really eight.

1 Like

Correct. Mind you it was Kieran Bennett who came in for Conor Gleeson when he was suspended for the 2017 final. Gleeson is on his way back from injury, he came on as a sub yesterday and you’d imagine must be pushing for a starting place on Saturday.

I think CG is the most underrated hurler in Ireland. Darragh Fives is also tremendously skilful and Shane Fives is handy.

Waterford had and have a fine team. Just unfortunate that 2018 and 2019 were write offs.

If Austin Gleeson could fire up front, and if Shane Bennett would return, they would be in rude health, with a JB-CG midfield and the current back six plus the two Fives brothers. Kevin Moran will be only retirement in the next few years – bar maybe SO’K.

The problem with Darragh Fives is he’s forever out with niggly injuries. Sick Note they call him after the Tottenham Hostpur winger, Darren Anderton who suffered from the same affliction.

Shane Bennett would be a huge addition if he could get his motivation and hunger back. Its a hazardous business predicting big things for minors but Patrick Fitzgerald from Ballygunner looks a very special, generational type player. Still at least 2-3 years away though before that could come to fruition.

At the risk of opening a can of worms would Maurice Shamahan not be a valuable impact sub with this group? I know he put some big scores for lismore in the club championships

Waterford are in a good position, in that they have a core of lads from mid twenties (2013 Minors/2016 U21s) to early twenties. This cohort should give Waterford a good chance of being a top four team for next five years. Lyons and Prunty look better than solid. If a back gets injured, CG could go back from midfield.

I think Waterford, starting in a week’s time, will probably get a five year window to win an Ireland. Unlike Ciarán Carey, I do not see Limerick winning five in a row. So there will be at least a couple of seasons, even if Limerick win three of the next six titles, where a springer can come through.

1 Like

Interesting analysis here of the jump in scoring rates for / against Waterford across the last 4 managers. They’re a dangerous team and if they score 29 points against KK, they could very well be in the final.

The heads on the two boys. :grinning::grinning:

The state of Verney

Signing in.

1 Like

Nostradamus

1 Like

Deary me,

1 Like

:smile:

No, he’s disruptive like Connors and Mahony that’s why Cahill culled them. They were given 10 years to do something in the jersey, didn’t win an AI, time to give the next crop their chance.