Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Ballygunnar won relatively comfortably in the end. FMW are a decent outfit but have 3 or 4 passengers which is typical of many a rural team.

They have a decent age profile of their team so if they could gain another few players they’d be closer again. Aaron Ryan missed 3 frees at vital times.

Ballygunnar are so fucking methodical in the way they play the game, awful crap.

They have so many weapons up front but once again I think their wing backs could be got at.

Ballygunner never really got out of third great. They had Fourmilewater at arms length throughout. That was goal that Guiry sauntered uo from the half back line to get for Fourmilewater.

I’d agree with you on the Ballygunner half back line. Not unduly tested this evening but it will be down the road.

FMW are a decent side but they had nothing inside with Guiry & Walsh.
That young lad Spellman looks a prospect.
They did show that when you push up on their wing backs it can lead to turnovers.

From a Waterford perspective, Tom Barron has come on physically and Sean Walsh needs work on his hurling but could be an option with his physical attributes.
Same story with the gunners. Same players standing out.

Ballygunner have settled on their back six now with Ian Kenny back and its a surprise to absolutely nobody that its Ronan Power losing out to Harry Ruddle as they look to introduce pace back there.

Shane Sullivan and Philip Mahony are really only hanging in there. Although they’ll be coming up against better players in the coming months, the ground will slow up big time which will help them. The TUS GG is a slow enough pitch in winter which might protect them vs Na Piarsaigh.

I think they’ll be using Jake Foley a lot more this year up front.

They may struggle against a pacy BDE Kiladangan team.

You heard it here first.

More lies, the TUSGG pitch was relaid last year and is on a par with CP and PUC in any conditions.

It plays slow in winter. Certainly slower than Fraher Field tonight which will help the Ballygunner backs.

Fake news are you blind? Read my previous post

De La Salle beat Roanmore 0-19 to 0-18 in the second of the senior semi finals this afternoon.

Ballygunner v Cappoquin in the intermediate semi final tonight will be an interesting one.

Walsh Park is looking well (but a pity the open stand isn’t a uniform height). When will phase 2 be done? Will it be available for championship next year?

4 Likes

Ballygunner beaten tonight in the Intermediate.

The empire might be starting to crumble…

1 Like

I see that. A comfortable enough 6 point win for Cappoquin seemingly. With the Tourin influx, Cappoquin have been fancied all year by many to win the Premier Intermediate.

Mullanes two fingered salute to the cork crowd must be one of the greatest moments of hurling ever.

The cork v Waterford rivalry triumphs any other hurling rivalry for me.

It had everything.

2 Likes

Tremendous

Great win for Ferrybank in the intermeejit

They’ll be dancing on the streets in Kilkenny

3 Likes

I spent all my summers in Ferrybank as a young fella and regularly hurled as a banger for them. Same story as lots of small clubs with a few families keeping it going. Delighted for them.

1 Like

For some reason never fully explained on the INTERNET Liam Cahill (AFR) claimed to have hurled for Ferrybank despite being from Griffith Avenue.

Ferrybanks best hurler in my lifetime Shane ‘Shiner’ Aherne transferred to Mount Sion as soon as he was old enough to win medals.

1 Like

Stephen Breen was a v good player too. Shiner transferred back to Ferrybank in the mid 90s and player managed them to an intermeejit championship

Won it pulling up in the end. Paddy Mullally is over them and they were flying fit, whereas Cappoquin wilted badly in the heat as the game wore on.

Mark O’Brien was full forward which was a bit of a gamble but it paid off in fairness, he lorded it up there.

1 Like