Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Is there an aul wall anywhere to be found?

Is Donners still involved?

No. He’s doing a wacky candid camera style show now so hasn’t the time.

3 Likes

Yesterday had a real bang of one of my favourite Waterford memories - the 1974 championship win over Cork in Walsh Park. Might be my memory playing tricks but I remember a full house, a sunny day, a Cork crowd full of confidence, a Cork man sent off (there was no doubt about this one - goalkeeper Paddy Barry was sent off for striking the umpire) and a surprise result.

13 Likes

There was about 300 Tipperary supporters in Walsh Park two years ago. That was the opening match of the campaign too. How they get on in Limerick next Sunday will tell a lot as regards the size of the invading hordes.

Its been alluded to already but it was great to see Jamie Barron back to his best yesterday. A magnificent hurler and someone you’d go to see.

Its not a coincidence though that he ran riot yesterday against Cork who try to hurl. He’ll go well against Tipp too because Tipp will hurl away but will likely struggle against Limerick and Clare with all their Rubby League mullocker types that they have around the middle third.

4 Likes

Queally is training the balbec this year. I don’t think he is going to “get us” like Tony Considine did.

Ye need yer heads examined

3 Likes

Took too much out of the ball a couple of times and has lost a bit of pace but was very good. The goal at the start was the making of the game for us.

What was good about the win yesterday was there doesn’t seem to have been any bad injuries to lads.

Seems like the last few years we lose the first game and 3 or 4 lads are missing the following week and maybe for the whole campaign.

An extra weeks rest ahead of a huge game v Tipp could be what pushes us over the line in that one.

I heard Stephen Bennett and Davy Fitzgerald allude to Shane Bennett’s injury after the game yesterday. Seems like it is fairly bad from what I have been told. Best wishes to him I hope he will be ok.

It might actually be a dream partnership. No point sending a sane man into run the asylum.

Are PĂĄdraig & Seamus Fitzgerald twins? They look more or less identical to each other. Surprised one of them didnt start at the weekend - suppose they might be up against it physically

They’re not good enough for this level.

Hon Maurice

3 Likes

Great photo.
A real warmth to it

They’ll repaint the wall for ye

Lovely jersey choice from Maurice. Waterford havent had a decent one since they went to Azzurri.

Paddy Barry hooked the ball - we hooked Paddy, ball and all.

Where did Dessie taking the frees come out of?

Needs must I suppose.

Stephen Bennett was injured and wasn’t meant to start until his brother Shane got injured.
Shane had taken them in the league v Wexford.
Jack Prendergast took them v cork and missed a few very straight forward ones.
Paddy Leavey took frees in the league but he was not starting.