Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

As an aside, how hard is it to set up this gaa go on the tv? From what I see you’d need to be nearly a tech whizz kid. Not sure if tis worth the hassle.

Put it on the laptop and connect it with a HDMI cable.

Easier and cheaper to get the fire stick.

GAME DAY.

Davy is able to select a team today that has 9 starters from the 2020 All Ireland Final of just over 3 years ago. Iarlaith Daly and Darragh Lyons who start today as well came on as subs in that Final. Throw in newcomers like Mark Fitzgerald and Patrick Fitzgerald off the bench who would both be serious enough standard hurlers. He’s got a lot more quality there than the constant moaning and poor mouth would lead you to believe.

He inherited a team that was felt in a lot of quarters to be the second best in the country after Limerick through 2020, 2021 and the early stages of 2022.

Just 3 wins from 10 league games against Antrim, Offaly and Laois, relegation to Division 2 of the league, exiting last years Munster Championship with a whimper with 3 defeats in 3 matches with scoring returns of 0-19. 0-18 and 0-16.

Davy would want to be pulling something big out of the hat today.

2 Likes

Bad day for the NayDavySayers

1 Like

Davy got it right today. Reverted to more traditional Waterford values.

Good to see the Waterford faithful coming out of Walsh Park with a pep in their steps. They haven’t had much to cheer about for a long time.

Tougher tests lie ahead. Cork were septic.

13 Likes

Vindication for @peddlerscross. He called this Waterford victory a long way off. Davy collapsing to his knees at the end like he’d just won the All-Ireland. Great to see Patrick Curran contribute a couple of points off the bench. I’ve always felt he was underused at senior level.

As an aside, I was watching this on the phone. GAA GO doesn’t seem to give you a wide full screen view on mobile which is frustrating.

4 Likes

Patrick Curran is a very underrated hurler. There has been a bit of talk going around for the last few weeks that there were some very frank exchanges between senior players and management on the training camp in Portugal as regards tactics and playing style. That was the first championship performance of proper substance from a Waterford team since 2021.

1 Like

Been saying it a long time, Waterford have a quality group of players

1 Like

Waterford have plenty of top quality players. I referenced it about 5 posts up in a post before the match today. The mess of the last 2 years is not all on management either. Players have to shoulder a good degree of blame too. Hopefully they turned a corner today and it did look promising today that players and management are finally pulling together.

1 Like

Waterford have a thing over Cork when written off.

Whenever they’ve had their ducks in a row for the past decade, (2015 League Final, 2015 Munster Semi Final, 2017 All Ireland Semi Final & 2020 Munster Semi Final) they’ve beaten Cork. A lot of them got their Education in UCC so would know them well.

Now that there’s expectation on them facing the worst Tipperary team in living memory in their own backyard in a fortnight they become vulnerable again. They have better hurlers and miles better athletes than Tipp so it shouldn’t matter too much, but they have a propensity to self combust with any bit of expectation on their shoulders.

1 Like

Still some money in Waterford gaa to pay for Davy and a trip to the Algarve

We’re all digging deep into our pockets down here, blow ins like myself included, to keep the show on the road. It’s not easy without a sugar daddy financing operations.

3 Likes

Try again pal

Waterford match up well against this Cork team with everyone availanble too. They have betterr hurlers in many positions. I felt Cork did very well to keep it as tight as they did going down to 13 men. That will stand to them.

4 Likes

I’ve a feeling Cork will beat Clare next week.

Prunty, Callum Lyons, Barron, Kiely were very good for Waterford.

They showed a lot of fight when it was easier to fold. One of the few positives

Its vital for Waterford that Cork win that.

A Clare win would mean a Clare win over Waterford in Ennis (which you’d expect) would get them to 4 and have the head to head on Waterford meaning a Waterford win v Tipp wouldn’t be enough. They’d need to beat Limerick away too.

https://twitter.com/JoeSeward1/status/1782136451578077267?t=vmUxQ2wKhS6JtsWxsCxu0Q&s=19

I was impressed with her dulcet tones too i must say.