Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Correct. And Sion a splinter of Erins Own. The Browne’s (Tony’s lot) started out with Roanmore I believe

We’re not a fucking splinter of Erin’s Own

5 Likes

so hurling clubs in the city, Ballygunner, Mt Sion, De La Salle, Roanmore ???

St Saviours, Erin’s Own. All bar Ballygunner operating out of a corner of the City.

jez that is a fair inbalance

That’s the way it goes. There’s no parish rule in Waterford , but Ballygunner have kept all comers off their patch. I grew up in the parish of Ballygunner but I went to school in Mount Sion so that was that. Mount Sion school has fallen back a long way too which doesn’t help.

De La Salle really missed a trick moving out to Gracedieu. Essentially picking from same pool as Mount Sion and Roanmore out there. If they were in around Newtown close to the school, they’d be tapping into what is now Ballygunner catchment area. Erins Own as the oldest club in the city should be picking up a lot more number wise there as well but leak a lot to Ballygunner.

Assuming parts of the city would be mainly soccer?

Where is Gracedieu ??

There was always soccer in the city and in the 60s and 70s would have been a soccer town but it has been effectively supplanted by hurling. Ferrybank (ethnic Kilkenny) is about the only part of the town that might be considered a soccer part of the town.

1 Like

On your right after you go over the bridge.

1 Like

Isn’t there a Gracedieu in south Kilkenny too ??

Are you mixing it up with Slieverue?

No - I think it was be a town land

By the brewery?

It’s on the high ground over the brewery (now the famed Waterford Whiskey distillery)

1 Like

Ok, semantics, Mt Sion were formed because Erins Own wouldn’t cater for underage boys from Mt Sion school after Brother Malone approached Charle Ware (Erins Own) to do so, source below (Former Association President Pat Fanning);

Yeah but where would they have got a site for several pitches, dressing rooms and a clubhouse in Newtown?! Gracediue had land, was accessible and not too far from Cleaboy.

Correct they club was never an off shoot of Erin’s Own. Thanks for confirming

Define an off shoot? Who did the Mt Sion boys play with before there was a club?