Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Not that I am aware of. His brother is Sean Power who won an All Ireland with Wexford in 1960. Seamus also won a North Tipp SHC medal with Roscrea in 1954 when he was posted there with the Post Office.

1 Like

Do people not realise that you couldnā€™t throw a stone in Waterford and not hit someone called Power?

Robbie was/ is an absolutely brilliant hurler though.

I reckon you are thinking of a young lad from Clonea Power (ironically)? Every second person in Waterford is Walsh or Power

Thatā€™s him I think. He was unmarkable when the fit took him. Heā€™d probably be thirty now or near enough Iā€™d say.

I got an awful roasting off him one day. A fine hurler

2 Likes
13 Likes

Cheers pal.

1 Like

Jimmy Costello wanted to sleep so he changed seats with Danny Bowe half an hour before the crash. Danny survived, Jimmy didnā€™t.

Meant to have been a lovey man. Only passed away a few years ago. Trained many a camogie team up in Mt Sion.

Danny was what youā€™d call a lovable rogue. A great oul character. Worked as a porter in Ardkeen so we were never stuck for a bit of a bandage or anything like that.

1 Like

My wife is a Mt Sion woman and played camogie for them. Said Danny trained some of the teams she was on.

Yes he trained Camogie teams for years, starting, I think, with the Ardkeen camogie team.

Playing in the Tony Forristal was a rite of passage for many a hurler, what a fantastic tournament, probably peaked in the 90ā€™s. Pity not more counties compete anymore, I remember Antrim, Down, Laois, Kildare, Westmeath, Kerry etc all playing in the TF/SW weekend. Not anymore, I believe counties donā€™t want kids of that age being selected on county teams ahead of others as itā€™s a development phase, what bullshit. I also remember clubs hosting counties, which was a novelty every year, lads being dumped at your parents door on a Friday with funny accents.

1 Like

Says de Waherfurd man :smirk:

2 Likes

:joy: they were funny to us

2 Likes

I played in it, I hope Kerry are not gone from it? your post suggests so

stayed in kilmacthomas the year I was there, cant even recall where that is now

The Tony Forestal is on itā€™s way out, Cork and Clare pulled out of it pre Covid for 2020.

why? couldnt afford the bus?

seriously though what the reason? is it down to the reason Jay Kuliana says?

Cork decided to revamp their underage structure and they have regional teams at 14s now so no actual u14 team I think. Possibly makes sense given the sheer size of the County playing numbers etc not to narrow the net too early.

Clare decided to follow suit but itā€™s not clear why as their situation is far different to Corkā€™s.