Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Another of the 59 team gone to their eternal reward. Austin Flynn passed this evening. A giant of a man.

6 Likes

RIP Austin.

How many of the 59 team are left now?

Four starters from 59 replay, I think it is. Mount Sion trio of Martin Og Morrissey, Mick Flannelly and Larry Guinan. Tom Cunningham as well.

2 Likes

Interview with Austin Flynn from a few years ago.

3 Likes

He was never a world beater but surely to god Waterford could get some benefit from having Shanahan as a sub?

Maurice Shanahan: ‘I dream about playing with Waterford again…I’ll never give up on it’ https://the42.ie/5421384

1 Like

I was thinking that myself. Their bench is poor.

Agree . He is a decent player and would have a role to play . Also a good free taker

No doubting his talent and based on that he’d be on the panel so there must be a reason other than hurling why he and Connors were culled…

1 Like

Well i think Connors was finished myself.

Cheers for that.

RIP Austin

He was finished when he ran off the field v Clare in Walsh Pk

6 Likes

I useta get programmes sent to me off a relation or his. A Kennedy from the City. I’ve read up on John, probably your greatest hurler ever or close to it?

Head and shoulders above any other Mount Sion hurler.

1 Like

Is your aul club mate dropped off the Sunday game panel of pundits? Ken was far greater than Ursula Jacob or Donal Og.

Must have been.

Waterford have the nicest geansai

1 Like

There was booked released about John Keane about 10 years ago. I think it was written by a relation of his. Not sure if it’s the same one mentioned in that article. Kinda covered a bit of Waterford and Mount Sion hurling history as much as just cover John Keane.

Yes that’s the same book The Unconquerable Keane by David Smith. It was launched in the club on Là na GClub in 2011. It’s actually a very good book and the best book there is on the history of Waterford hurling.

1 Like

He was on with Woolly recently

1 Like