Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

They might as well tog out for Gaultier in the Waterford Football Championship like they did last year.

Away to the Clare champions.

Who is that likely to be?

To be fair to Ballygunner their body of work in Munster between 2017-2019 was very impressive for the most part.

Wins over Na Piarsaigh, Patrickswell, Thurles Sarsfields, Sixmilebridge x2, Ballyea and Midleton in a 3 year period is not to be sniffed at. They were unfortunate in ways to be drawn in a Quarter Final each year.

The Borrisileigh defeat was obviously a disaster and the decision not to use Dessie vs Ballyhale will be a big regret. Covid last year another disappointment.

8 weeks waiting around now for this year’s Munster Club is a handicap they could do without but I’d still have them favourites to win it unless Na Piarsaigh get a few players back.

1 Like

The Bridge are favs, but I don’t think there’s anyone in the last 8 that would be causing concern

Sean O’Donnell on video analysis for gunner is interesting

He’s been with them for years

There must be no shortage of money for either party

Looking at the list of county finals in the match programme today, Ballygunner have been in 21 of the last 23 finals since 1999 or going back to 1995, it’s 24 of the last 27. You’d imagine with the demographics advantage they have, which is only widening, they’ll most likely appear in nearly every or possibly every final over the next 25-30 years. They mightn’t be too far off the 39 in a row that the Ballumacarbry Ladies Senior Footballers have racked up in Waterford by then.

For all the playing numbers, the team is made up of 2/3 families + a few others. The team do the basics very well, first touch, hook, block, track back and keep moving. Some of the play today from Roanmore was brain dead, some of the frees they gave away were of the harmless kind. Teams have to get the basics right

I make it the Ballygunner starting XV today was made up 12 families not 2/3. Three Mahony brothers and two O’Keeffe brothers. Shane O’Sullivan an uncle of the Mahony’s as well.

Not quite the 1982 All Ireland Football Final where 11 of the 17 Offaly players who saw action were drawn from 5 sets of brothers.

1 Like

Looking at that today I’d say there is a malnourishment issue in the Roanmore area.

1 Like

Barry O’Sullivan who came on today is a son of Billy (nephew of Shane) and I’m pretty sure the Foley’s are very much part of the O’Sullivan/Mahoney family tree.

It’s essentially their club.

There was a pitiful crowd in Walsh Park today for a county final, considering it was two city clubs in a city with a population of about 50,000. It was announced on the tannoy that it was 2,800. If anything it looked even less.

There was a bigger crowd at the Carlow senior Hurling Final two weeks ago involving two clubs neither of which had a population centre getting anywhere close to 4 figures.

O’Keeffes on the same bloodline . Brian OSullivan (unrelated) is a big loss to them upfront. Dessie Hutch and Peter Hogan might be the only players on the Waterford panel next yr.

Mahony x 4
T Foley
Shane O Sullivan
Barry O Sullivan

Stephen O Keeffe
Billy O Keeffe
Darragh O Keeffe

Cormac Power
Ronan Power
Barry Power

3 families make up over half the panel.

I’d say Ian Kenny will be on the panel at least next year. Maybe Conor Sheehan too.

Is Brian O’Sullivan abroad now? Tim seems to be long term injured and David packed it in young enough a few years back. Still great to see Dr. Tadhg involved. One of the great characters.

Very much a team in transition with the likes of Harley Barnes, Eddie Hayden and Speedy Power being phased out of the team.

Where would be the Roanmore area

In the City no?

Roanmore

2 Likes

Billy Nolan playing centre back today for Roanmore. The bas on his hurley was ridiculously big. He was playing with his goalkeeper hurley out the field.