Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

How old are the two lads?

Not sure to be honest. The thought was we would see both line out for this game. It’s a worry neither of them have seen the field in any game yet so time is definitely against them now.

1 Like

They’d be serious additions. I think Lyons is a great bit of stuff and will be a serious attacking threat now that TDB is back to sit in beside him.

Lyons is class. I wondered would they push him forward to midfield or even half forward with TDB and Daly added to the backs.

Midfield could be a spot for him alright. He’s a very strong ball carrier.

He was viewed as a potential midfielder last year but injuries to others in the half back line meant he had to stay there.

Both 20/21 ish

1 Like

I thought Luke was 24/25 for some reason, seems to be around with ages. A right good performer. Peter Penkert another solid player for MS

1 Like

I think if he could be released to MF with a fit Barron it could be a serious option

Would Waterford start Jamie Barron – against Limerick at least – at wing forward, earmarking him as a marker for Cian Lynch and avoiding a lot of the usual crash and bang with Darragh Donovan and Will O’dOnoghue? I think teams taking on Limerick when CL is a midfielder will need to let Declan Hannon be a straight up sitting back and pick a marker for CL in their forward line. You then would basically have two sitting centre backs in a six man backline and three midfielders.

Summer Waterford team?

Billy Nolan/Shaun O’Brien

Conor Gleeson
Conor Prunty
Ian Kenny/Shane McNulty

Carthach Daly/Jack Fagan
Tadhg de BĂșrca
Kieran Bennett/Iarlaith Daly

Kieran Bennett/Iarlaith Daly
Calum Lyons

Stephen Bennett
Austin Gleeson
Jamie Barron

Shane Bennett/Patrick Curran/Jack Prendergast
Michael Kiely
Dessie Hutchinson

SUBS
Billy Nolan/Shaun O’Brien
Colin Dunford
Ian Kenny/Shane McNulty
Carthach Daly/Jack Fagan
Peter Hogan
Darragh Lyons
Pauric Mahony
Neil Montgomery

The Waterford 26 should have the strongest bench? Would Carthach Daly go well at corner back, pushing off IK and SMcN?

Bit early to be putting Calum Lyons in as a guaranteed midfield starter. Very hard position to play compared to wing back

Good to see Waterford fans thinking about all ireland finals
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

I have it on good authority that Teresa is not a hurling fan.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have Kenny or McN near the starting team. C Daly is a fine hurler and could slot in corner back but is young and inexperienced. I Daly wouldn’t have the legs/engine for midfield and I’m not convinced of Fagan as a wing back, he’s a half forward/full forward and can be very good or very poor. I think Shane Bennett perhaps as an option half back if C Lyons pushed into MF

Why isn’t Billy Nolan the nailed on starter in goals. Looks a far superior GK to O’ Brien in every facet.

I thought the jersey was his for the taking going into the league last year. His puck outs and use of the ball I thought would be his big advantage but they were really mediocre for what ever reason. That gave O’Brien his chance and he seemed to be favoured by Cahill after that.
O’Brien is the more agile of the two and probably better reflexes but Nolan is probably the steadier of the two.

I thought O’Brien’s puckouts sort of collapsed in the semi final last year but he did very well up to that.

A settled keeper is key worrying in my mind that yere not sure on one or t’other SOK a massive loss

I dont even think that is true? Do teams break before the anthem is over?

They break off the parade maybe when there is one, but off the anthem doesnt seem right

2 Likes

I agree on IK and SMcN. Might be that IK is now a bit overrated after his marking job on Eoin Cody. I would chance CD ahead of them.

I would prefer CL at wing back. And I take your point about ID at midfield. Interesting point about SB at half back, a line that probably should be CL, T de B and ID. Which leaves JB and KB as first choice midfield?