Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

He said the Waterford performance was unacceptable and they hurled like a car on dirty petrol.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cahill leaves after this season.

In fairness, the hype is one thing but there has always been a laziness about Waterford hurling and that was evident again today. We started well, we were rocked back by the Cork goal and then we hit them hard with 1-4 in about 5 minutes. And then we took the foot off the pedal. We do that time and again. Sometimes when we take the foot off the pedal we can put it on again other times we can’t. Happens all the time. We are the opposite of relentless. We never beat a tier one county by a big score no matter how much better than them we are.

On more granular matters we were wiped out at midfield and if the answer is Peter Hogan and Darragh Lyons then there is a problem.

2 Likes

There’s been serious structural problems right up the middle all year. Prunty is not up to the standard at full back. De Burca looks a much diminished player after the two cruciates in quick succession. Barron never got going at midfield after an injury blighted year. Stephen Bennett then at full forward, awful championship and not a reliable free taker as you’ve said when the heat is on. Outside of Ozzie, inability to win possession in half forward line is a big problem.

Amazing how one result can cause a bouleversement… Until this afternoon, LC was meant to have been exceptionally wise in passing up the Tipp job.

A results business, as they say.

2 Likes

That was the perceived wisdom. What he has in Waterford though is nowhere as good as what Cahill thought he had. Outside of the hype machine, there’s plenty in Waterford that knew that too.

1 Like

Well, you are far more (damningly) eloquent on the subject than I could ever be. But I was desperately disappointed not to see Waterford win, because they should have had the wherewithal to complete the job.

Should… The ‘laziness’ factor, as you say. They seemed to expect a victory to fall on top of them.

Waterford’s central defence no longer looks as formidable as it did last year and the year before. Not sure what should happen there.

Midfield is a massive problem. I was never convinced about Jamie Barron out there any more, when crunch comes. Is there something to be said for the prosaic virtues of Kieran Bennett? Calum Lyons, lacking a certain kind of spatial awareness, seems properly a wing back. Carthach Daly likely needs to be out there.

Peter Hogan? A gadget hurler. Darragh Lyons as well, I suppose, in the end.

2 Likes

They’ll take some stopping running back to the dressing room if they play Limerick again.

True enough. Which makes Derek McGrath’s carry on even worse.

Here is a thought. Presuming Cork beat Tipperary, they could make an All Ireland semi final by beating, in all likelihood, Galway or Kilkenny. Clare or Limerick will beat Dublin or Wexford. Then Cork, if they made the All Ireland semi final, would have to play the Munster Champions. Not that simple for Cork, even now, to make the AIF.

If Kilkenny meet Galway in Leinster Final, and beat them, they would likely have to overcome Clare to make AIF.

1 Like

Could be time to send up the bat signal to bring Stephen Molumphy home.

2 Likes

Tailtean Cup the only hope now for Waterford for some inter-county glory this year.

Not like @ChairmanDan to make such a large boo-boo as this. Mortified for him.

I was only half-watching on the phone before our game but there was a real brainlessness to the Waterford approach today. How many times did they run into a phalanx of bodies, or worse; out over the end line, rather than popping over a handy point from 30 odd yards out. Even near the end when they were three behind, they had someone running free through the middle with a handy point on - head down and bulled straight into the nearest defender

Bad and all as Waterford were today, they left a lot of scores behind them on missed frees and as you said trying to bulldoze their way through for goals.

Would this have been anything to do with the tighter pitch?

Are you and @Fagan_ODowd being a bit harsh on Cahill and the team? Everyone will agree they shouldn’t have found themselves in this position but there’s a few reasons for it and if they learn from them they’ll be fine and possibly better next year.

Great position by the end of the league but having developed a squad so well they didn’t quite seem to know their best team if they had everyone fit.

They didn’t have everyone fit though and key players weren’t at the level they’re capable of. I think they put in a really good performance against Limerick and then it’s hard for teams to put in strong performances when they’re such strong favourites, like yesterday or Limerick against tipp. I still think Cahill is an excellent manager but maybe he isn’t able to time a team’s form in the way Kiely and co seem to be able to do.

I don’t think Waterford are in a tear it up and start again position at all.

TDB’s lack of form is probably the main reason for their struggles. I just assumed he’d get back to his best

2 Likes

Yep. And Bennett. And Prunty has been better previously too. Then you had Barron coming back from injury and not quite there yet and not being entirely sure where to put him it seemed.

Our full back line has been weak all year but we haven’t changed it albeit that we were unlucky with Dalys injury depriving us of options.

Cahill needs to accept they made a bags of things in terms of Barron and Iarlaith Daly’s injuries.

No way should Barron have kept breaking down on his road to recovery while the less said about Iarlaith Daly’s treatment in the Gaelic Grounds the night, the better.

You tipp lads are awful sour about Cahill I wouldn’t pay heed to a word ye say about him.