Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I dont mind Cahill, and have great time for Bevans but Cahill and his medical team adopt the ā€˜strap them up and tell them their fine approachā€™ to injuries which has backfired spectacularly this season.

Do you think Cahill issued the direction for Daly to play on, overruling his physio or medical team and the player after they treated him on field? Are you telling me thatā€™s what happened?

More or less yes.

I was told this by someone close to the Waterford camp last week.

There was a situation last year too where a fringe player was so terrified to tell Cahill about an injury, he trained on anyway and ended up missing a lot of his Club Championship as a result.

Babs was right. Youā€™re only one defeat and a few inches from a pat on the back and a kick in the arse.

Gas cunts.

Maybe he needs stronger people on the medical or physio side? If a player canā€™t play on he canā€™t play on.

I think itā€™s extremely unlikely that a physio treats Daly on the field, decides he canā€™t play on, and is overruled by Cahill.

Does he really do that though? An interview I saw with Cahill, he talks about how their base line for getting on the team is players need to be 100% fit first and foremost. No exceptions. It is something they pay very close attention to.
Yes, you could argue it is an obvious statement for any manager to make but he seemed to be saying that no matter what player you are, you need to be 100% flying it or you are out.

1 Like

Photo from Waterford sideline in this years championship

He has been a lot below his previous levels in this yearā€™s championship. He started off patchy v Tipp and has at best stayed that way if not regressed a little bit more.

Cahill seriously messed up taking both Montgomery and Fagan out of the half forward line. Aussie was the only big man in halfforward/mid field. Cork bullied them on their own puckouts! As for the lack of service to Dessieā€¦

1 Like

You could hardly tell that Hutchinson was on the field for long spells yesterday. Was bizarre.

There was an element too of Dessie not showing for the ball as well to be fair.

Everything just looked fractured yesterday. All the stuff that youā€™d associate with Cahillā€™s Waterford was missing. The prerequisite of work rate was sorely lacking. We werenā€™t hunting in groups at all. It was oneā€™s and twos going closing down and getting picked off. Cork moved the ball really well around their back line yesterday. How many scores did they get from the half back area of the field yesterday in the first half. The keeper even had time to set and throw a point over at one stage.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been hearing all year from a good source in the county that TDB is not comfortable with the knee since the second operation, that he feels itā€™s going to buckle again and this may well be his last year. That tallies really with whatā€™s transpired on the pitch. He just doesnā€™t look comfortable and is a much diminished player.

1 Like

Iā€™d agree entirely. Cahill seems to have gone from being a top class coach to a liability in the space of 70 odd minutes. Thereā€™s some mental stuff being written. Waterford just did a Galway and Iā€™d fully expect a response. I hope Gleeson isnā€™t suspended. They may learn more in defeat.
Not sure the difference between Munster and Leinster is anywhere near as big as people make out.
Anyhow, tis all the one. Galway will lay waste to all.

3 Likes

We are always prone to these types of outings over the years. I suppose what is so surprising is it was seemingly sorted under Cahill and we had a level of consistency under him.
Not sure what went on in the set up for this game. We just werenā€™t ready for it at all. Itā€™s a collective failing so no way would I be laying this all at Cahills door. It would be unfair to do that but as head man that is where is starts and stops for most people.
I think the one thing we are usually good at in Waterford is parking bad displays and disappointments and raising it again for the next day. Although that was usually cause we had a semblance of a chance in a qualifier or what not. Now, even an unlikely result in Ennis probably wonā€™t be enough.

We made our bed yesterday.

2 Likes

The true position is probably somewhere in between. The Waterford and Waterford based contributors here in the main have not rated this side as highly as they appear to be held outside of the county and long-standing concerns that have been raised were in the main borne out yesterday.

Full back line has been a problem since Cahill came in Day 1 and little has been done to rectify the issues there. Iā€™m firmly of the view that Stephen Oā€™Keeffe could have been got back in the fold and that certain accommodations could have been made in that regard.

Cahill does seem to have some issues with Ballygunner and itā€™s a curious start of affairs that the All Ireland Club Champions and 8 in a row Waterford senior champions only have 1 starter.

The team has looked very flat, leggy and overtrained in all three Championship games. Itā€™s the responsibility of management to have them primed and right. While there is some merit on the throwing the team under the bus comments about players not fronting up, there are issues for management here as well.

I couldnā€™t see anything all year other than a Limerick 3 in a row win, so maybe Waterford are as well off out of it now. Thereā€™s plenty of soul searching and issues for management and players to reflect on and address. I also suspect such has been the rate of attrition this year that the life cycle of this Limerick team is drawing to and end, so Waterford like everyone else will just go at it again next year.

1 Like

Arenā€™t Waterford as good as through if Tipp beat Cork?

I think we are just getting started in truth. We have a raft of top quality forwards coming through and the current team is quite young.

Itā€™s obviously a big part of the ā€œ mindset overhaul ā€œ going for goals but Cork had it twigged and setup accordingly.

They were essentially a one man forward line yesterday.

I still think Waterford have a reasonable chance of going through. Tipp have something to play for now and have a decent shout against Cork in Thurles. Clare have nothing to play for. Lohan will surely rest a few key men and if Waterford have any pride in themselves they will come out all guns blazing.