Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Liam is staying

Heard that too.

Does that mean the players arenā€™t as against him as previously thought, or that they havenā€™t been asked?

He gave no indication of thinking about leaving on TG4 last night, certainly.

He wouldnā€™t want to leave it like that.

1 Like

I think he has lost the dressing room and he needs to cull one or two to make a statement. I would also make a visit to Derek and tell him to shut his mouth.

Thatā€™s my thinking, leaving like that would be a big blow to his credentials. Players obviously realise heā€™s not all to blame either

Is it a coincidence that morale suddenly changed when the BG contingent came back into the Panel?

None at all

Liam Cahill will grasp that nettle but will the fallout be worth the hassle?

Derekā€™s scrapbooks will have to wait another year

Id say theres one or two egos need taking down alright

A Bennett!

1 Like

Players to a man seemingly wanted him gone. County Board wanted him to stay on.

Thereā€™s blame to be apportioned on both sides for the way the year played out. Iā€™d be doubtful that there can be a rapprochement.

Shades of Justin McCarthy staying on into 2008 about this.

1 Like

The Waterford players are an awful bunch of primadonnas

3 Likes

You need to get some luck but go to the well to win one, some of those lads are soft as fuck. When the tools are downed they play like they did in Ennis, a disgrace to the good people of Waterford. Derek McGrath would want to reign his neck in also.

Heā€™s wasting heā€™s time now.
Be as well off out of it and let someone else have a go.

2 Likes

Waterford probably would have been better off moving him on.

Itā€™s a tricky one. Player power is never a good thing. Most of this group of players were down this road only 3 years ago with Paraic Fanning and Waterford players in general always seem to be in need of a bit of tough love.

As against that after a good first two years, Cahill does seem to have got an awful lot spectacularly wrong this year in terms of team preparation, a lot of injuries and dealing with injured players.

Thereā€™s fault on both sides but if thatā€™s addressed and they can pull together again, thatā€™s great.

Ultimately though in any sport if the dressing room is lost, itā€™s rare that itā€™s regained and it usually ends in tears.

1 Like

Agree with all of that. I think the loss to Limerick in the Gaelic grounds had a significant impact on them. It shouldnā€™t have.

By right Waterford should have been able to brush that off and go again with two further games to get things right.

But they just looked completely out of sorts versus both Clare and Cork. Maybe their preparation was wrong in terms of timing.

That is no excuse though.