Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Probably wasn’t expecting 30 pages back :smiley:

2 Likes

Was it double spaced?

2 Likes

Size 14 font, Bevans eyes aren’t the best

1 Like

Could it be said they’re unmanageable?

1 Like

Were there a lot of big words in it?

How do you explain Cody?

1 Like

Kilkennys Norman stock are more stoic than Gaels.

4 Likes

Curious one. Like under Patsy they looked very manageable all through the league and into the first round of the Championship and then it went to shit. Come the Clare game it was clear that a lot of them weren’t playing for the manager.

Don’t think so. Cahill managed them fine for two years. He got an awful lot wrong this year though.

This Waterford team were overrated to begin with anyway by the public at large.

2 Likes

Cody from what I gave gleaned has a very different M.O.

He doesn’t get into conflict with players or dole out bollocking or pull up your socks pep talks to players. He treats everyone the same for the most part and if he feels you aren’t putting in the effort he just stops picking players and gives them the cold shoulder.

It isnt something which is easily replicated and while the player on the receiving end of it doesn’t like it, more importantly the rest of the group don’t get worn down by it.

2 Likes

And they thought we were bad with the twenty questions.

1 Like

Its the culture more than the man, but the man has created the culture?

I think fundamentally, players need to respect management, without necessarily liking management.

I see it with teachers that have excellent classroom management and get fantastic results. Other teachers claim that said teachers get results because the students fear the teacher.

The fact is, those same students have huge respect for the teacher and are crazy about them. Its the lazy kids that have a problem with the above teacher.

2 Likes

Like everything - consistently setting and respecting boundaries is what sets apart the good from the bad.

1 Like

The current Kilkenny team must have felt ten feet tall when the great man told them, 'this is how we trained when we were winning All Ireland’s".

1 Like

Massively so. Fellas ranting about their panel depth based on running in a few handy goals against Wexford and Cork.

That said, I think they should have gotten out of Munster

Give it to Sean Power

2 Likes

All jokes aside, this is what should happen

An ice cream van or even a few Mariettas would go a long way.

1 Like

Who are the genuine contenders here? The talk of Cahill leaving has been going around for a long time, so you’d imagine the county board have some contenders in mind. Ideally, you’d like to get the manager in place before the club Championship gets up & running?

As an outsider, McGrath would be a very underwhelming appointment. I know that he’s had some modicum of success with the Laois minors recently and I don’t doubt that he definitely has some positives. But if Waterford want to win the All-Ireland?

I don’t really know much about the other internal candidates, people often talk about Power. I suppose like Kiely & Cahill, he has underage All Irelands with some of these players. I don’t know whether he’s even been a selector with a senior setup? And then people mention the current Ballygunner management, Darragh O’Sullivan was the manager this year. Obviously have achieved success but the cautionary part about both Power & O’Sullivan would be that they definitely had the best teams in their own competitions; it’s a different test bringing an underdog to win an All-Ireland.

Some talk of Molumphy who did alright with Kerry this year, I suppose, despite an exodus of players early in the year. Possibly a hard person to deal with, but got the most out of the players he did have.

As I said, I don’t really know any other obvious internal candidates, would they go outside again? Don’t think there’s a blatantly obvious candidate, anybody coming in would have a fair degree of risk. Same names get thrown up for all these jobs, basically recent intercounty managers.