Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

The word is that Derek is not putting his name forward. Davy is reported to very interested in the job. Darren Gleeson is in pole position at the moment according to my sources.

Was Derek phoning around to players last week to canvass opinion on him coming back?
If that was the case maybe he didn’t get the answers he was hoping for.

I can’t see Sean Power being anywhere near it.
Fergal Hartley might be another one to look at if he had any interest.

If we are to go outside the county again hopefully the next manager that comes on board has previous intercounty managerial experience

County Board monetary restraints will dictate the appointment. There’s no sugar daddy to bankroll operations in Waterford.

I’ve heard a while back that was happy enough just to train those underage teams. He was over the minors in 13’ and U21’s in 16’ wasn’t he?

Certain people would need to recall the circumstances in which Pat Ryan declined to become Waterford manager, after effectively being given the job. Now PR is manager of Cork. I was told at the time some Waterford players queried whether PR was ‘high profile enough’ to manage them. Noel Connors was King Query, which is why Liam Cahill gave him the bullet.

3 Likes

That move would highly surprise me. But you are generally on the money.

My understanding is that Shane Bennett put a question directly to Derek McGrath in a squad meeting held in early 2018: “Are we going to hurl the same way this year as we did last year?” And said, when DMcG replied in the affirmative: “Well, I’m off then.”

I thought the players wanted to interview
Him as well before he was given the job and he politely declined.

Pat Ryan was diagnosed with an illness at that time. That was the reason he declined the job, nothing to do with the players. As far as I know the players would like Derek to come back but he is not interested. Tony Browne, Daragh O Sullivan, Fergal Hartley and Peter Queally would be the best available within the county in my opinion. I would love to see Mullane involved in some way, excellent coach. Very few available from outside the county, Gleeson and Woodlock would be my choice. Would not go anywhere near Eddie Brennan.

I very rarely disagree with anything you say but would have to say that picture counts as far from accurate. Cody runs the ship in a far more corporate style than is widely realized but certainly does go in for face to face encounters. Item: following the narrow enough win over Offaly in 2013’s Leinster quarter final, four players – Colin Fennelly, Eoin Larkin, Richie Power and Michael Rice – were told getting on the bus home that they had to come in for a ‘meeting’ the next day.

A player once described to a friend of mine how he was present when Cody dropped several players off 2016’s panel following nine point defeat to Clare in a league semi final. The lads in question were basically told: ‘You are out, because you are not any good.’ Another player, who had come on as a sub, was told: ‘You were a better player when you came in here first. You are on your last chance.’ While people might approve or disapprove of this stuff, it would not be accurate to say Cody “doesn’t get into conflict with players”. I described before an incident with Colin Fennelly and Walter Walsh after the 2020 Leinster Final.

I also reckon, although this point is speculative by nature, certain players are treated rather differently than other ones. I mean, how many chances has Alan Murphy received, without ever looking up to an outfield berth?

2 Likes

PR went to meet what he thought would be all the players but found he was going to get grilled by a few of them, led by NC. So PR bailed out, citing ‘work commitments’.

The larger point is that DMcG indulged a lot of shite.

3 Likes

Possibly to keep the brother on side. Cody reminds me of Alex Ferguson. That style of management is not effective with modern day players but their legacy allows them to get away with it today.

1 Like

Not true.

I’d imagine the loyalty of the senior players plays a huge part too. A couple of young lads aren’t going to rock that Kilkenny dressing room.

Yes that what I sort of heard. Gleeson I heard was one of the players involved.

AG is meant to be sound. A bit harmless but sound – and a brilliant hurler.

Work and family commitments may have been given as the reason but it was illness that was the main reason. If you read the article it also says the meeting with the players went well.

Interesting that you want to get this moment watermarked in a particular way. I would say you are intimately connected.

The meeting could not have “went well” because said meeting never really took place. Journalists often write stuff designed to cultivate important figures.

Do you want to tell us more about the ‘slush fund’ years?

Aussie never got involved in the politics side of things.

Perhaps. But this type of area is inevitably speculation. I happen to know other stuff occurred.

1 Like

Nothing to tell