Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Wasn’t he very close to getting it before they finally got Cahill?

There was a train of thought they couldn’t appoint another MS man again after Patsy.

Is he the goalkeeping coach?

Yes. Lives in Antrim.

1 Like

No I’d say even in 2018 his time had been and gone. He was heavily touted when Derek got the gig in 2014.

Wasn’t he the favourite to get it after McGrath stepped away in 2018 but wasn’t even interviewed?

Maybe Fagan will n ow better but I can’t recall him ever seriously being in the running.
He put himself forward the last time but didn’t even get an interview as far as I know.

Correct. I think the view would be that he hasn’t the nous for senior inter county management and that he fell in as an underage coach for a group of outstanding young hurlers that he couldn’t but win all around with.

Waterford could do with a @Fagan_ODowd type to shake things up. A kind of cultured Ger Loughnane with Powery as a selector.

1 Like

I’d be better as Chairman of the County Board to be honest.

1 Like

Very much agreed. A superb talent.

And seemingly sound, as mentioned.

Pat Ryan completely refuted that illness story. It was a weasel excuse from them to hide the real reason they withdrew the offer

A lovely lad.

1 Like

Cody?

Is there anyone from the 00’s team you’d like to see in the job?

Waterford County Board lacking the same explosiveness out of the blocks as the Tipperary County Board in finding a new manager.

Fergal Hartley the most level headed of that crew would he be?

Irial is CEO of Nemeton TV. Fergal runs a recruitment company. O’Regan is a small enough upgrade on the likes of Paddy Joe and Tom Cunningham. Pat Flynn is a bungalow.

On balance not the worst panel we could have come up with.

I spotted a pensive looking Pat Flynn in Ardkeen Stores at lunchtime today. He had the look of a man grappling with weighty matters.

Was he at the deli counter?

Is that the same crew that recruited Cahill. If it is then they didn’t do a bad job the last time to be fair about it.