Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Go on…

That looks like the entrance to a prison to me.

Looks like it’s missing an Enoch

5 Likes

A couple of all Ireland hurling finals played on that pitch in the background.

1 Like

Senior ones at that. Of course the Waterford County Board being the Waterford County Board did nothing to honour the centenary of them.

1 Like

Good few names there from clubs who don’t generally have representatives at county level - Clonea, St Mollerans, Fenor , Butlerstown & Tramore.

Brickeys too wouldn’t get much representation on county panels

Only 4 from the West of the County starting.

Clonea and Mollerans would occasionally have had lads on County panels. Fenor and Butlerstown rarely enough. When Dunhill and Butlerstown were amalgamated at under age 40 years ago they would have had a decent crop on under age panels. I don’t ever remember a hurler from Tramore on any county panel, which is a scandal for the counties second biggest town even allowing for the fact that it is a soccer and football town.

Tramore is a curious one, even allowing for it being a soccer town you would think by pure weight of numbers they would always have a couple on county panels, at underage level anyway.

An ex clubmate of mine is involved out there and I understand from him they’re getting their act together at juvenile level. Hopefully they make a go of it as there is big potential population wise, and its only going to increase in the coming years with its proximity to the city and the town in general is headed in the right direction.

1 Like

Is that a real club or misprint for no24?

Official name for Tramore GAA

1 Like

Tramore GAA club is known as Michael MacCraith CLG. Named after volunteer Michael McGrath who died during the one skirmish we had in East Waterford in 1921, the Pickardstown ambush just outside Tramore. One of the other volunteers to die that night volunteer Murphy has the GAA pitch in Dunhill named after him.

1 Like

The other day ,while on my travels , I passed a GAA club in Roscommon called Lord Edwards…

Was it named after a potato?

1 Like

Thanks @Gavrilo-Princip and @Fagan_ODowd.

Have Tramore had any players of note in recent times and what grade do they compete at?

1 Like

None at all that I am aware of. They would have had a couple of Gaelic footballers on the county team in the 70s but that’s about it.

1 Like

I was nearly sure Tramore had a player starting on a minor hurling team about 3 or 4 years ago?
Or was that football?

True for you. There was 3 of them played there.
1903, 1905 and 1907.

There were 4 or 5 from Tramore starting on the Waterford team that beat Kerry in Walsh Park to win the 2003 Munster U21 Final. They reached a Senior Football Final in 2003 too and haven’t been seen since.

Tramore won the Junior C hurling last year. Got a last minute goal to beat An Sean Phobal in the final.

1 Like