Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Tulsk. I have their two club histories.

1 Like

1 Like

Is Waterford hurling in a spot of bother? Seem to be struggling underage.

Bar an odd standout underage team here and there like Minors and U21’s in 1992 and Minor 2013/U21 2016, Waterford have largely been the whipping boys of Munster underage hurling for 50 years.

1 Like

We always go through fallow spells with under age teams. But we get a couple of decent lads through most years.
That U20 team is fairly young I am told. There could be 3 of them underage for 2 years time. They are supposed to be handy but a young group.

Looking at their full forward line and our back three, their U-20s could easily beat us tonight.

I’m actually a bit worried. Cork are without 4 certain starting defenders here. Lyons, O’Connor, Wilk and Smyth.

1 Like

Yep, if we struggle to contain the ball going inside Twomey and Fitzgerald could do damage

It’s a numbers game at underage level a lot of the time and Waterford don’t have as many clubs as Tipp, Cork and even Limerick.

The current u19 group for Waterford have some very strong players but lack depth.

1 Like

It’s a numbers game at Senior now as well. The split season Round Robin blitz and shotgun championships are essentially a war of attrition. It’s all about squad depth and who can best absorb the inevitable proliferation of injuries.

Couple of handy forwards for the Waterford U-17s tbf.

Round robin blitz was in place before split season mate.

I presume TDB has been Waterford’s sweeper so far this season?

Who has been in centre-back?

He’s our plus one counter attacker.

7 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0405/1375495-gleeson-set-to-miss-waterford-opening-games/

Iarflaith Daly has become Darragh Fives 2.0

Absolutely. Seems to be permanently injured.

Just realised that Walsh park isn’t available for Munster Championship matches. Probably old news I missed. Reading a few articles there but need some clarity.

Did they opt to try redevelop it quickly and so exclude all matches, or could they have done it slower and play away while construction progressed?

The former. Sure we haven’t won a championship match there since 1974. Apart from the time we bet Tipp.

Fond Memories.