Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

In fairness to Davy itā€™s only after taking him 6 months to achieve with Waterford what took him 5 years with Wexford.

4 Likes

I am agreement with you here. I think OB is the better keeper of the two. Whatever Davy sees in Nolan I donā€™t see it at all. After about 5 minutes yesterday he picked the ball out to 3 cork players in the middle of the field.
He also seems to be able to pick out the worse area of the field to hit the ball to. Generally where we are out numbered.
Problem now is OB is going to be undercooked if he brings him back in. We have Sokyā€™s understudy at Ballygunner in as the third keeper and he is taking time from OB in any training matches.
There are a few lads that were seeing game time under Cahill not seeing the pitch now or getting game time like Cartlach Daly, billy power and OB for instance .

Thought Daly was injured. You would think heā€™d be playing a big role.

Iralaith daly is injured. Carthach Daly is on the bench.

Surely Waterford should have brought in Ballygunner manager.

Would be the obvious play.

Philip Mahony?

I donā€™t know was he ever really interested in it.

Waterford goalie really seemed to get on the wrong side of the referee yesterday. He was 3rd Waterford player to go down with an injury but this particular one seemed tactical. Of course the helmet came off too. Cork were in ascendancy and every puckout he took an age as you do again the wind. From the 1st whistle though the ref was having none of it with the ref making hand motions to him to get on with it. It was little wonder after that that the ref gave Waterford nothing.

I was told that he wasnā€™t interested in the senior job at all back a few years ago. Strange that the manager who coached the underage success never had a crack at the senior job though.

There was a feeling in the county that he just happened have found himself in charge of an exceptional bunch of kids. There would have been similar feelings in Mount Sion too in fairness.

4 Likes

He went for it at one stage alright. I recall he did an interview before one of the Waterford games about it. I think Cahill got the job at the time and Power said he didnā€™t get a call back,
Maybe @Fagan_ODowd can clarify but I donā€™t think he has even been involved with too many Mount Sion teams?

See my post above.

1 Like

Who was the manager before Cahill again? It seemed a very amateur set up and to have set Waterford back a good bit.

Patsy Fanning.

Patsy only did a year, got us to a league final and then it went to shit as usual in the championship.

Jesus, I like the Waterford lads here but Iā€™d be fearful of yeā€™re hurlers going forward. Their BanistĆ©oir has the look of a magician looking into an empty hat wondering where the rabbit fucked off to ā€¦.

1 Like

Outside of a few wins over Kerry, Waterford won 5 championship matches in the 30 years prior to their modern day renaissance in 1998. Think they might even have got relegated to Division 3 in the league at some stage in the mid 80ā€™s after losing to Mayo. With 1 win out of 14 in the Round Robin blitz and perennially hopeless at underage level now, they are not far off pre 1998 levels now again.

Not quite. We are very comfortable in the division 1 of the league and routinely get to the latter stages of the league.

Iā€™d say he had watched the Waterford v Limerick match last week where Nolanā€™s puck outs were extremely slow.